Showing my house on monday (any tips ?)

Associate
well we have just put our house up for sale and we have 5 people coming to view it on monday. any tips on what rooms to show 1st or should i just leave them to it ?

ive heard tell of using smells to make it more attractive ie: baking bread etc. so any of you guys been through this ? give me some pointers please as this is our first time :eek:

cheers

fly

Man of Honour
put some coffee beans in the oven, or bake some fresh bread..

But no1 tip:
Take all personal stuff down/out of the house. try and get the rooms with the bare essentials in only. Basicly leave a blank canvase for them to eye up..

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Clean the house, the "orange" or "coffee" thing is well overdone, anybody viewing your house will know what you're doing :p

Give them a tour first allowing them to enter each room before you. If the room is smallish stay in the hall as it will be cramped with too many people in it. Then let them wander about themselves.
Keep as much clutter away as possible.

Permabanned
Don't get disheartened if you don't get offers on your property for a fair while.
There are A LOT of people who actually enjoy going round other peoples houses for a nose with no true intention of purchasing at all.

You could ask them what sort of house they are selling, how long has their house been on the market and so on. After all if you're going to accept an offer from them and make them part of your chain you need to know they aren't going ot be a hold up.

Soldato
VIRII said:
Don't get disheartened if you don't get offers on your property for a fair while.
There are A LOT of people who actually enjoy going round other peoples houses for a nose with no true intention of purchasing at all.

You could ask them what sort of house they are selling, how long has their house been on the market and so on. After all if you're going to accept an offer from them and make them part of your chain you need to know they aren't going ot be a hold up.

true i've done that :)

Soldato
Defo let them enter the rooms first and just have the place smelling nice. Even though the coffee waft has been done to death I still love the smell of it and it wouldn't put me off. I wouldn't put anything in the oven though as you don't want to show them your lovely clean appliance and end up baking their faces when they go to peek inside :p If you own a car then get it washed and polished and have it parked outside on your driveway (if you have on). Same principle goes for the garden, make sure that everything is neat and tidy. If you have any odd jobs that need doing then get them done as a potential buyer will start to eye up all of these little niggles and turn them into more than they really are in their head.
Go outside and walk up to your house and try to see it through the buyers eyes. Does anything negative catch your eye? If so then fix it.
Get you partner to do the same as you may just have well missed something. Nothing beats a bit of roll playing, so even though it will make you feel like a numpty you and your partner should take turns at being the buyer and the seller. Oh and don't forget to give a firm handshake and a big smile to these people whom you're going to rip off (I mean sell to) and don't make any promises to anyone ;)

Al

Wise Guy
Permabanned
It's mainly been said, but :-

• tidy the front garden. Kerb appeal is absolutely critical. If you do nothing else, make the approach look good

• declutter the place

• make sure it's spotlessly clean

• turn lights on in dingy areas

• put kitchin utensils on counter-tops, etc, away in cupboards

• open windows several hours before they arrive

• if it's really hot, have some fans going to circulate air (or air-con if you have it, but obviously, shut the windows then)

• have a few vases of fresh flowers about the place

• a bowl of fruit in the kitchin, and one in the lounge area works well

• offer refreshment (tea, coffee, cold drinks but not, IMHO, alcohol), and offer a few biscuits, or fruit

• absolutely don't have dogs running around. Get them out back or, better yet, out of the property altogether. Get rid of "doggy" items, like a smelly dog bed.

• don't have curry the night before

• guide people round. Don't just let them explore, present the house. Initial impressions are critical. If there's a strong point, lead with it.

• as was said, guide people to a room, open door (most of which usually should be shut, initially) and ease them into the room, following yourself

Personally, I don't like the coffee beans/baking break tricks. They strike me as to obvious, too contrived .... and far too well-known.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
iamgud said:
Lol i agree with the female sofa grinding....
The trouble with that is .... it might make for a memorable viewing, but they won't remember a thing about the house. The husband won't see past the action on the sofa, and the wife won't see past the husband intently studying the action on the sofa.

Result = 1 divorce, no house sale.

Associate
OP
hey, thanks for the replies guys !

some usefull tips there cheers

as far as preperation goes, we have spent the last 2 months doing everything that needed doing. weve painted the place from top to bottom had new carpets fitted in every room and even bought new bedroom furniture ! all odd jobs have been done. windows are clean and garden tidy. i swear if we had a decent garden, i would want to stay here lol.

just wanted some general tips for actually showing the people round, which i have got, thankyou.

i even got rid of my computer desk and all my peripherals are up in the attic. i have the pc sitting beside the tv in the living room and using the tv as my screen. god 60hz kills my eyes lol.

thanks again guys, you guys are the salt of the earth !

fly

Back
Top Bottom