Shuttle - help with spec please

Soldato
Shuttle

Thinking of buying a shuttle, but debating whether or not to actually get one because of how much I might use it.

Basically I want a computer I can move about easily, to work and to friends houses, I say work because on weekends I can just hook up my own comp and play WoW all day :p

So it's either a shuttle or a laptop i'm looking to get,

For a shuttle I want something which would run silently and still perform well, I have a 7800 GT I can put in it but it has a zalman vf700 cooler on it so would need two expansion slots to fit it into, I also have an arctic freezer 64 pro which is going spare but again it needs to fit inside the shuttle system so it might not.

I am planning to put:

1GB of memory
Opteron 146
Hard drive
DVD writer
network card/sound card (I need to network it to main PC in order to xfer stuff over to it and maybe a sound card so I can watch movies with it too.

I want to keep it as silent as possible so that if I leave it on overnight by accident after watching a film or something it doesn't annoy me too much.

And also finally can I plug it into my 2nd DVI port on my NEC 20" WS monitor and just switch the input on the monitor to display one comps picture on the monitor at a time?

sorry for the confusing post,

budget? don't wanna spend more than £500 or so really especially with no monitor and such too

cheers.

Last edited:
Suspended
Just build a Micro ATX system up IMO, Shuttles are too cramped, and unique PSU/mobo so really can't shove any industry stanard Micro ATX board and PSU. A MATX system isn't much bigger, but you have far more room to put your hands in. :) and at least won't have videocard/PCI fitting problems, as long as depth/PSU/hd issues (ie MATX cubes)

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=5848

versus this one MATX Silverstone TJ-08
pcf.jpg

My system is probably twice the height of the Shuttle.

Soldato
If its going to moved around a lot I'd personally get a laptop.

I have a Shuttle. Nice, compact and quiet. Would hate having to constantly move it about though, espeically disconnecting and connecting it back up again.

Back
Top Bottom