Shuttle PSU Failure?

Soldato
Hi I have a oldish (3 years) Shuttle system, AMD athlon x2 with an Nforce chipset.

The machine will power up, but then just conks out and switches off either after windows has loaded or during the loading process. For a while it actually refused to start up at all with all the fans just spinning at full speed.

Is this a PSU on it's way out do you think or is it time for a new system?

Thanks

Soldato
Could be PSU, had a mates conk out similar running the 240w one, as I only had spare 250w psu's that didn't fit the case we opted for a full atx psu and had it outside of the case. If you have a spare atx psu I'd recommend trying it.

Associate
Theres two different ones, I believe the newer ones use a more of a standard shape psu (not standard ATX) and the older ones use a long one, kind of like a brick.

Associate
Looks like the its the long type. Think the bay might be the best place for them, I know that a competitor does them but not sure they're the same fit as they look newer ones than when I worked there.

Soldato
OP
Looked it all up and i need a PC55 which are about £100. Ouch.

It won't power up at all now, you flip the switch on the back and the light flashes on the mainboard and the then fans spin slowly. Press the power on switch and nothing happens. I'd say that's definately a duff PSU wouldn't you?

Thanks

Associate
or as someone else suggested, find a full ATX psu from work or mate and try connecting it up to see if it works. If it does, then look at replacing the PSU, if still no joy then either your entire computer is deaded or your PSU is fine and its something else.

Soldato
I think all recent Shuttle's have proprietary main power connection so a regular ATX power supply won't fit. Might be wrong as I've never tried testing it myself.

Soldato
I need a new PSU for my Shuttle SG33G5 im not sure which one i need because the current one, model number: PC50I3002 doesn't seem to exist anymore, any help on a replacement would be much appreciated.

Soldato
Hmm just linked out the green and black and tested the voltage, the psu comes on fine, but the mobo wont boot up when its pluggged in

Associate
The main things that fail on Shuttles are the PSU and the motherboard Capasitors. In fact its normally the capasitors that fail inside the PSU's as well.

Most Shuttles have standard ATX connectors (not ATX2 although an ATX2 will normally fit). There is one style of Shuttle case (Several models) which use a totally non standard PSU type. Give me a minute to check which yours is and I will advise

UPDATE:
Ok yours is the nightmare P2 style PSU with 2 smaller power connectors not ATX.
You cant connect a standard ATX PSU to the motherboard, you have to have the special one.

If the PSU capasitors are leaking / bad, you can sometimes get the machine to power up by connecting the mains and leaving it connected for a few minutes before switching the machine on.
In my experience you still get power from the PSU, but its not powerful enough for any load with leaking caps.

You need to find another PSU to test but is needs to be a P2 type. Anything from an SN25P would do.

Last edited:
Associate
I need a new PSU for my Shuttle SG33G5 im not sure which one i need because the current one, model number: PC50I3002 doesn't seem to exist anymore, any help on a replacement would be much appreciated.

Kimi, Your PSU needs are much simpler. Its a standard ATX psu, you can pick up almost any 200 - 250w Shuttle PSU and also test your motherboard with a standard desktop PSU.

Your problem may well be capasitors on the motherboard, but I would try and get a PSU to test with first.

Associate
I do believe I have a shuttle psu for a P series chassis here, I think its the 300 or 400 watt model. Can you take a picture of it so I can see as I brought the power supply and it turns out it was the motherboard that was dead so I have a spare.

Soldato
Ok thanks guys

I have a pc at work which just blew an ATX psu, so i need to order one for that, ill take the shuttle in and test it with that before i order a shuttle one

Soldato
I think we are getting confused... the post about the P2 PSU is back from 2009 :( which I did not realise... Kimi has reserected a very old thread anddoes not need a P2

heh, sorry about that, i didnt want to post a new one which was pretty much similar..:cool:

Back
Top Bottom