Sick days off work: how many is too many per year ?

Soldato
Guys how many sick days off per year do you think is too many ?

And can there really be too many days off as if someone sick there sick and there nothing anyone can do about it

Soldato
OP
Flu is one thing but having a cold is not an excuse to not go in to work.
That one of the problems now as most the people at my work place used to carry on working when they had a cold but that has now changed and were told we must go home (Not come in) so not to pass it on to other workers

Soldato
OP
It does mean now a smokers break is a minimum of 20 mins which when many non smokers don't even have the tea breaks (that they should take) get a bit funny about.
A few years ago one of the non smokers at my work place used to go to management all the time moaning about smokers stopping for a fag in non break times so management fitted a camera facing the smoking area :(

Soldato
OP
Man B who had a flawless record for 30 years had a day off sick (return to work talk)
Two weeks later another day sickness (verbal)
One week later another day sickness (written warning)
Two weeks later another day sickness (final written warning)
Three weeks later another day sickness (sacked)

5 days off compared to nearly two years.
That sounds like they were looking for a reason to get rid of him..

Soldato
OP
On another note

If a doctor signs you off work for say 3 days but you feel well enough to go back to work after 2 days
Should you go back after 2 days or stay off the 3 days ?

Soldato
OP
Funnily enough I tried that once. Signed off for 2 weeks after a knee OP. Decided to go in after a week (wife works on same site was reason I could get in as could not drive).
I got sent home with a friendly but serious slap on the wrist that I would get a reprimand if I went in again as insurance was void
Signed off for another 2 weeks after a toe op so just enjoyed the time off for that one :).
Gave up running 10 years ago and so no operations needed since ;) .
No you shouldn't but last year I was signed off for 2 weeks but I went back after a week and no-one noticed.
If anything had happened in that week it would have been a serious breach.
About 2 months later my Manager said she needed my sick note for my file and then noticed what I'd done, she wasn't happy.
Thanks Guys :)

Soldato
OP
Not had a sick day for years, in fact none in my current job. I just don't seem to get ill. People regularly taking the **** used to really grind my gears, you could tell they were just using them as extra holidays as it was usually a Friday or Monday.
Yes my work place has had there fair share of workers that always fall sick on a Saturday or Monday (Saturday by far the worst for them not turning up)

Back
Top Bottom