Sideways nod

Soldato
The leg out thing is used around London a lot to show appreciation for a car moving to the side to allow filtering. Don't see it up here much.
I raise my all my fingers skywards but leave my palm on the grip because they might not understand the leg out meaning. Got to respect those that go out of their way to help/allow us filter, totaly worthy of a 'thankyou' gesture everytime..

Associate
OP
I got the lag out gesture a few years back for pulling in to let a bike past on the motorway - I was about to overtake, not lane hogging, but he was going faster, so slowed and moved anyway. Always wondered if it was a gesture of thanks, or something else, now I know :)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I raise my all my fingers skywards but leave my palm on the grip because they might not understand the leg out meaning. Got to respect those that go out of their way to help/allow us filter, totaly worthy of a 'thankyou' gesture everytime..

That's what I do & I agree about thanking thoughtful/Aware car drivers.

I've also made up my mind to nod to the lads on the 1T's with L plates as it pleased me so much when people nodded at me when I was L plated up. :)

Soldato
That's what I do & I agree about thanking thoughtful/Aware car drivers.

I've also made up my mind to nod to the lads on the 1T's with L plates as it pleased me so much when people nodded at me when I was L plated up. :)
With ya there fella, really cheered me up and didn't make me feel like a tool on L Plates knowing the big boys are welcoming you in. Feel part fo a scene again now. Man I'm just so obsessed with bikes at the moment, with that newbie thing... can't stop reading every bike mag, checking pictures etc. lol

Associate
I used to get fellow bikers nodding to me all the time when I was on the vn2000 and would have always nodded back.

However now that I am commuting on a cg125 nobody nods to me :( Im also too embarrassed to initiate a nod because I am 99.9% sure they would be laughing inside their helmet :)

Roll on this time next year when I should be able to afford a new bike.

Soldato
I used to get fellow bikers nodding to me all the time when I was on the vn2000 and would have always nodded back.

However now that I am commuting on a cg125 nobody nods to me :( Im also too embarrassed to initiate a nod because I am 99.9% sure they would be laughing inside their helmet :)

Roll on this time next year when I should be able to afford a new bike.

I get plenty of nods and I'm on a YBR125, guess it really all depends on the kind of riders you come across. Few weeks back a convoy of bikers where passing me on the other lane, every last one nodded, but after the first 3 or so i started to do the fingers up thing, otherwise i would have looked like a nodding dog lol.

Don't worry about Initiating a nod either, ok so your on a 125, its still a motorbike, everyone has to start somewhere, or choose the smaller stuff for commuting. Iv even had a few slow down abit shake there heads disapprovingly, to those types of bikers i respond with the universal "up yours" sign.

The vast majority 95%+ simply are just acknowledging another biker regardless of what they are on, but as with anything really there are still idiots/snobs and so on.

Permabanned
i nod to everyone on two wheels unless i'm doing something more important. coppers round here nod back. chavs don't (scooter riders that will become bikers will) and fat blokes on harleys with the wife on the back mostly don't.

i always warn cars and bikers if i see an animal on the road - flat hand up and down for "slow down" then a yellow pages fingers do the walking so they know it's not a speed trap, that's a thumbs down. filtering or fast overtaking and a car moves over i fingers up or thumps up.

i tilt sideways so i can keep fuller vision mostly, especially if i'm doing the speed limit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom