silly season 2018 - F1 driver line up

Caporegime
Ok, so Kubica was SLOWER than Sirotkin at the Abu Dhabi test, once tyres, fuel loads and track temperatures were taken into account yet somehow Williams are choosing the faster Sirotkin because of money rather than picking the slower driver just because it would make a nice story? Get a grip people!

Kubica was one of the best drivers of his era, without the accident many people (myself included) think he'd be up there with Alonso, Hamilton, and Vettel in the record books. Kubica showed incredible class when he was in F1 before; whereas Sirotkin has done nothing to show he's better than a mass of other drivers. His last series win was in 2010, in Formula Abarth. I can think of few new F1 drivers who have entered with such a mediocre record behind them.

Personally I think Kubica's former class is worth a punt, but that's not why I think Sirotkin is a waste of a perfectly good F1 seat. Sirotkin hasn't shown anything to suggest he's worth a seat; a single test notwithstanding.

Caporegime
Kubica was one of the best drivers of his era, without the accident many people (myself included) think he'd be up there with Alonso, Hamilton, and Vettel in the record books. Kubica showed incredible class when he was in F1 before; whereas Sirotkin has done nothing to show he's better than a mass of other drivers. His last series win was in 2010, in Formula Abarth. I can think of few new F1 drivers who have entered with such a mediocre record behind them.

Personally I think Kubica's former class is worth a punt, but that's not why I think Sirotkin is a waste of a perfectly good F1 seat. Sirotkin hasn't shown anything to suggest he's worth a seat; a single test notwithstanding.

His history isn't spectacular, it's true, but it's not awful either. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Sirotkin_(racing_driver)

He finished third in GP2 in 2015 with 1 win, 1 pole and 1 fastest lap. In GP2 in 2016 he finished 3rd as well with 2 wins, 3 poles and 3 fastest laps. the 2016 series was dominated by Gasly and Giovinazzi who certainly haven't set F1 ablaze with their performances. GP2 in 2016 was as good as a whitewash with Stoffel Vandoorne attaining nearly double the points of second place driver Alexander Rossi.

I agree also that Kubica was one of the best drivers of that era, but he's been out of the game for a long time and has a severe arm injury limiting movement and strength and decidedly didn't show any of his previous speed at the Abu Dhabi test.

Transmission breaker
Don
Its a smart move from Williams.

Money will help them develop the car, they keep Kubica in the Sim and with maybe some Friday running for experienced feedback and to see if that raw speed comes back. Then they have a ready made driver with a proven race history to drop in if needed.
Not to mention the media interest that he brings. Lots of marketing potential, and the "will he, won't he" race hype that will inevitably follow him around.

I heard that Stroll almost walked at one point last year as it is, so reserve role could be key for the season.

Caporegime
Jolyon Palmer shows that just because they've had success in the ladder they won't necessarily make the step up when it comes to F1.

Sure, and if it wasn't this then F1 wouldn't be the pinnacle. But this is the opposite argument: mediocre pre-F1 is unlikely to precede F1 success. Every top F1 driver of recent times I can think of excelled in lower formulas.

Soldato
I don't know the answer, hence the question. I wouldn't have expected the answer to be to leave F1 though - Stroll's been nowhere near consistent enough to demonstrate that he's more than a cheque book who can drive for 4 races a season.

Transmission breaker
Don
Where to? He might be carrying a large bag with him marked "Dad's cash" but there weren't many better cars to take it to.
Who knows, back to his Dad? Apparently he is a fiery character and does not like it when he does not get his own way. I get the feeling he does not need to race and may be a bit of a prima-donna!
I suspect it was a toys out of the pram moment.
I think Williams are trying to keep him in check. Supposedly post Canada Qually was when it happened.

Back
Top Bottom