Sim Only Deals - advice

Soldato
Hi,

I've been due a phone upgrade for about 5 months now. I was umming and arring over the S9+ and the P20 Pro, then the Mate 20 Pro came out.

I have an S7, smashed glass back, power button doesn't work properly and there are some bubbles under the front glass but the phone still works well, it's fast, battery holds a charge and it's a good camera.

I want a Mate 20 Pro, but I don't need it. Going all out this year to clear debts, cut down monthly spends for a remortgage etc so I've been looking at getting a decent case for the S7 and moving from EE to a sim only deal.

I currently have unlimited texts and calls and 4gb data for £33 a month. Rarely use half of the data

I'm considering the Plusnet deal, unlimited mins/texts, 5gb data and a 1-month contract meaning I am not tied in. £9 a month

However, I'm also looking at infosec training so have started watching videos etc online when not on wifi but tbh, I can manage without using it out and about and I don't know a lot about the providers such as 3, giff gaff and VOXI. Coverage ok?

Any advice on what to look for with sim only deals as I've never used them before and any pitfalls to look out for? Does anyone know of any cracking deal out there?

Soldato
Get 1month sim only deal with a lot of data.
for example virgin does 30gb for £16 a month.
or 120gb for £20.

those give you one months notice to cancel.
no pitfalls for me. contract is a contract :)

just check which network has best reception where you live.
Am with virgin for over a year now, co complaints

Soldato
I've tried several over the years, currently with Plusnet and really happy with them.

I'd say pick one with a monthly contract in case you're not happy, though I'm sure you will be. And try to find one on the network you want to use. Assuming you're happy with your current EE coverage then Plusnet is a good option as they use EE.

Also, as you're keen to save money, go via topcashback and get yourself some free money.

Associate
I've tried several over the years, currently with Plusnet and really happy with them.

I'd say pick one with a monthly contract in case you're not happy, though I'm sure you will be. And try to find one on the network you want to use. Assuming you're happy with your current EE coverage then Plusnet is a good option as they use EE.

Also, as you're keen to save money, go via topcashback and get yourself some free money.

Was about to post basically the same as this. I wouldn't go back to a normal contract now, having been on SIM-only for a good few years.

Soldato
OP
Am I correct in thinking that PLUSnet don't currently support calling over wifi?

And I take it that it's just as easy moving the mobile number over?

Last edited:
Soldato
No I don't think they do unfortunately. I don't think many MVNOs do offer this, though it looks like iD do if the 3 network is any good for you?

Yep, just as easy to move your number.

Soldato
currently have unlimited texts and calls and 4gb data for £33 a month. Rarely use half of the data
So you've been paying this for 5 months past your upgrade date? That is an immense rip off. Unless you couldn't stop your contract 5 months ago?

I'd check out Three as they've always been the cheapest for me. They have WiFi calling (without their terrible app) but I think it needs to be a Three phone unless you're happy with flashing the Three whatsemacallet

Soldato
OP
So you've been paying this for 5 months past your upgrade date? That is an immense rip off. Unless you couldn't stop your contract 5 months ago?

I'd check out Three as they've always been the cheapest for me. They have WiFi calling (without their terrible app) but I think it needs to be a Three phone unless you're happy with flashing the Three whatsemacallet

It's more about having the time, it's been massively busy for me since July last year, from health issues, losing twins, my wife nearly dying, running my own business, being a dad and working full time... sorting my phone has been quite low down on my list :)

I'll have to check 3 coverage around my usual hang outs and see what they are like :)

Associate
If you don't use much of the data, my current deal with EE is unlimited mins, texts and 2GB* data, 11.99 per month, albeit, its a contract. (12 mo)
It includes some loyalty discount, to which you may be entitled.
*(I actually get 7gb data, because I have fibre broadband with EE also)

Man of Honour
If you call plusnet up, they may offer you unlimited calls/texts and 3gb for £6/month, monthly rolling contract. That's what I'm on currently.

Soldato
It's more about having the time, it's been massively busy for me since July last year, from health issues, losing twins, my wife nearly dying, running my own business, being a dad and working full time... sorting my phone has been quite low down on my list :)

I'll have to check 3 coverage around my usual hang outs and see what they are like :)
Sorry for your loss and rather awful combinations of things.

Given the amount you've paid in to EE it could be worth a call to see what they can offer for SIM only. They have always been pretty pricey when I've looked, but I've never had any existing contract with them so they may be better for you.

Soldato
I've had a SIMO deal with 3 for about the last 5 years. I stopped buying into the over-priced monthly contracts as my intention was to keep the phone for over 2 years. I still buy flagship phones, so does mean stumping up a lot of money at the start, but gives you the luxury that you're paying a very small amount for the next 24 months+.

The only pointer i'd say is to go for a 12 month SIMO rather than one month rolling, as you'll pay a little extra for the freedom of a one month contract. But make sure you test out and are happy with the network+speeds.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for your loss and rather awful combinations of things.

Given the amount you've paid in to EE it could be worth a call to see what they can offer for SIM only. They have always been pretty pricey when I've looked, but I've never had any existing contract with them so they may be better for you.

thank you, I've been with them for years but they are generally **** at customer retention. I've had to request my transfer number each time to get an offer anywhere near close to online offers. They just tell you that you're stupid for leaving because they have the best network. They don't like it when I point out if the spent less on Kevin Bacon and sports packages I don't use it'd be cheaper for everyone :D

They also refuse to do phone and contract on separate bills so you can pay the phone off after 2 years and then it stops.

Soldato
OP
I've had a SIMO deal with 3 for about the last 5 years. I stopped buying into the over-priced monthly contracts as my intention was to keep the phone for over 2 years. I still buy flagship phones, so does mean stumping up a lot of money at the start, but gives you the luxury that you're paying a very small amount for the next 24 months+.

The only pointer i'd say is to go for a 12 month SIMO rather than one month rolling, as you'll pay a little extra for the freedom of a one month contract. But make sure you test out and are happy with the network+speeds.

I've always had flagship samsung phones ever since I upgraded from the G1 I had, in all honesty though, I do it to have the best not because I actually need it.,

Soldato
They also refuse to do phone and contract on separate bills so you can pay the phone off after 2 years and then it stops.

I actually think they should be forced to do this, a big chunk of the contract is to pay for the phone, they should have to detail this separately and stop charging for it once it's paid off.

It's definitely a way consumers are ripped off. Sure you can argue it's down to an individual to know when their contract is up and to act, but it's easy to miss and sometimes people have other priorities, even somebody who does keep an eye on it can take a couple of months to act while they decide what to do.

Soldato
I've always had flagship samsung phones ever since I upgraded from the G1 I had, in all honesty though, I do it to have the best not because I actually need it.,

I think these days there are some really decent budget and mid-price phones, so plenty of good options when you do need a new handset.

I'm replacing my S7 Edge today and wouldn't waste my money on another Samsung flagship.

Man of Honour
I'm replacing my S7 Edge today and wouldn't waste my money on another Samsung flagship.

Have you used any modern Samsung flagship from say the S8 series?

Samsung are still the only ones that do the best overall package. The Mate 20 Pro is great, but the OLED screen isn't up to flagship standards, and the wide angle lens isn't up to quality either given the price. Until the XZ4 comes out, the Mate 20 pro might well be the 2nd fully featured Android phone in one package there is right now as far as flagships go.

Soldato
Have you used any modern Samsung flagship from say the S8 series?

Samsung are still the only ones that do the best overall package. The Mate 20 Pro is great, but the OLED screen isn't up to flagship standards, and the wide angle lens isn't up to quality either given the price. Until the XZ4 comes out, the Mate 20 pro might well be the 2nd fully featured Android phone in one package there is right now as far as flagships go.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they aren't great phones, I'm just not willing to pay those sort of prices (though I realise the S8 is pretty cheap now it's the old model)

''waste my money" was probably the wrong term, as yes they're very good, I just think the prices for flagship phones has risen stupidly in the last few years.

Just bought a mi mix 3 and for £450 I couldn't be happier.

Sorry OP for going a little off topic.

Back
Top Bottom