Sim Only - Virgin vs Plusnet

Soldato
Looking to get a couple of cheap rolling contract SIM only deals and it seems Virgin & Plusnet are doing the most competitive deals. Both use the EE network which has good reception round here but interested to hear opinions on service / customer care etc.

One thing I've read is that Plusnet block short code texts so things like Banking texts, Amazon account verification or responding to NHS texts doesn't work, anyone found this?

Seems to be a feature to block expensive scam texts that has also stopped access to a lot of services.

Soldato
I've got the virgin sim only for my mum last year, £12 for 6gb data etc, no complaints so far with them. Customer service isn't on Amazon level but better than Vodafone imho which is just horrendous.

Man of Honour
i just switched from o2 to plusnet last month. 5gb data for £10 compared to o2's 1gb data for £10.
plusnet runs off ee's signal and i've got no probs with it where i live.
had to call plusnet's cc once - to port my number - was no fuss and done within 24h
re: short code txts - i've received all of mine so far with plusnet so idk if that's an optional feature to block them or not

Soldato
OP
re: short code txts - i've received all of mine so far with plusnet so idk if that's an optional feature to block them or not

Have you had any issues responding to them? Seems you can receive them but not send a reply back, for example when the NHS text you and ask you to send "ATTEND" to confirm you will make your appointment or those car check text things.

Thanks guys, I missed the Plusnet deal yesterday but will keep an eye out for any bank holiday sales.

Soldato
Have you had any issues responding to them? Seems you can receive them but not send a reply back, for example when the NHS text you and ask you to send "ATTEND" to confirm you will make your appointment or those car check text things.

My mum's been on Virgin for years and had no issues replying to the NHS when confirming her appointments (which she still regularly attends). CS has been great for her as well, considering she usually calls/messages me on even the smallest tech issue.

Associate
I was with Virgin for years before switching back to EE. Decent connection and data speeds whilst on 3G and customer service was quick enough to sort things out when needed a new micro sim or discuss a billing error.

Soldato
Actually went from Plusnet to Virgin but only because I needed more data, no complaints about either one to be fair.

Soldato
I've received texts codes from Google verification and PayPal etc... But i tried to enter a competiton on short text and I couldn't.
On plusnet I forgot to say

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replies, it's a shame as Plusnet and TPO have some great prices on high mins low data tariffs which would be ideal for my mum but both have the text issue.

Virgin is about twice the price so I'll explain the problem and see if it bothers her.
All are under £10 so still cheaper than the current tariff.

Back
Top Bottom