SIM only with no initial payment???

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I want to change the deal that I am on with Three, but they tell me I have to port my number out and then back again, because they don't allow porting from one PAYG package to another (both with Three).

I have got a Giffgaff SIM, but they want £10 loaded on at activation.

Is there another PAYG SIM that I could use that does not want money as part of the activation?

Associate
What is the current deal that you are on, and what one did you want to take? I thought Three only had their 3-2-1 deals with add-ons that you could buy per month if needed.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
I want to move onto their Data Reward PAYG deal. It is intended as a data SIM for tablets, etc, but in reality it also gives standard 3-2-1 rates in addition to the Data Reward deal of 200MB free data every month. I'm a very low user because I spend most of my time at home or in the office with a landline and wifi, so this would suit me very well for the few times I need data when out and about.

I've confirmed with Three CS that I can legitimately use the Data Reward SIM in this way with my phone, lots of people on hotukdeals have reported the same, and I have 2 friends that use this deal.

Soldato
I don't get payg sims anymore, most of them require you to put in 5 or 10 a month at least in which case you can get rolling Sim only plan - think virginmedia currently does 500mb-2GB for like £5-8 a month so unless you spend less than £30 a year I don't see the point

Soldato
I've confirmed with Three CS that I can legitimately use the Data Reward SIM in this way with my phone, lots of people on hotukdeals have reported the same
Well that won't last long then. If it was a sustainable business model for handsets then they'd offer it. If everyone starts using it as it wasn't intended then they'll just put a stop to it - like getting free SIMs just to port numbers out.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
Have you tried registering your current sim if possible on www.three.co.uk/freedata

Current SIM not eligible.

I don't get payg sims anymore, most of them require you to put in 5 or 10 a month at least in which case you can get rolling Sim only plan - think virginmedia currently does 500mb-2GB for like £5-8 a month so unless you spend less than £30 a year I don't see the point

I spend less than £30 per year... probably less than £10. I realise some people might struggle to comprehend this, but I'm nearly always on wifi and have a landline (with inclusive calls) close to hand.

Well that won't last long then. If it was a sustainable business model for handsets then they'd offer it. If everyone starts using it as it wasn't intended then they'll just put a stop to it - like getting free SIMs just to port numbers out.

They don't advertise it, but the Data Reward SIM has been available like this for about a year. I guess they aren't giving up much free data, and calls and texts still have to be paid for.

Soldato
Yeh that makes sense then at this usage. I just know a lot of people who spend 10-15 on payg and have no clue about Sim only contracts. I use wifi a lot as well which ia why I only need around 2-3gb data a month rather than 30 like some people

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
I've ordered a FreedomPOP SIM which costs 1p to activate (apparently!)... I report back with how it goes, as it might benefit someone else.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
OP
I'm using Freedom Pop for a couple of weeks since they give you a month of "premium" for free. Ported my number over without issue. Haven't initiated a move back to 3 yet, but I have a new Data Reward SIM sitting on my desk.

Back
Top Bottom