Simple Backup Software for >1 HDD Copies

Soldato
I've been using Windows backup and restore for a while but it seems to struggle if you want to backup the same data to more than one hard drive. It doesn't remember where you left off if you swap HDD's and always wants to start the whole backup again (meaning it takes hours rather than just adding any additional files). I have a bunch of files (~2TB) I want to regularly backup to 2 different HDD's (i.e. the same data copied twice).

Anyone know any easy to use freeware that I could use?

Thanks

Associate
Which version of windows do you use? If it's 8.1/10 then File History can do this, but it does have it's own issues. I personally use Macrium Reflect, but the free version can only create images and full + differential backups. The full version also supports file and folder backups plus full/differential/incremental.

However in either version the differentials (or incremental) will build upon any existing backup already present on that particular backup medium.

Edit: Although not a full backup solution, using robocopy on the command line works in any version of Windows and can synchronise sets of files between two locations. This will only add new or updated files when syncing.

Soldato
try acronis

It can do incremental backups (u create one full backup) and when you run it again
it only backups up what has changed

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. The system is still using Windows 7 I believe and it's just folders of various different types of files.

Looks like you have to pay for Acronis. Is robocopy hard to use for a beginner? I'm not that tech savvy and this is for a relative who is even less so!

Associate
Robocopy can appear daunting as it has many options and is quite powerful. However, in its most simple form it's actually very easy to use. For example to make one folder mirror another the command is robocopy <source_path> <target_path> /MIR. The first time you run this it will copy all files, subsequent executions will copy only new and updated files. The /MIR option will also delete any files from the target that have been removed from the source.

There are also GUI utilities you can use that will create commands for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the replies, have tried a few of the programs listed and think I prefer Macrium Reflect.

Noob question, but is there any reason to be worried about the backup format being specific to one program? For some reason I expected it to be in native file format, so you don't need to "restore" using a specific program. Guess I'm being paranoid, but if in 3, 5 years or so you're still reliant on the program to get your files back.

Associate
Noob question, but is there any reason to be worried about the backup format being specific to one program? For some reason I expected it to be in native file format, so you don't need to "restore" using a specific program. Guess I'm being paranoid, but if in 3, 5 years or so you're still reliant on the program to get your files back.
It's a concern, Yes. It's a while since I've used acronis but with that you generally need the software or a boot disc to restore. Most others are just glorified copy and paste programs* so you can just read them via Windows explorer, or Mac if you like the dark side.

*In no way is this a bad thing, I use Syncback and love it. Often I'll try another program just to see if there is anything better and always come back to it.

Soldato
OP
Does Syncback do incremental only backups? i.e. it figures out what's been added/changes and just applies that to the backup rather than copying everything over again. I'd be OK paying for a version that does this, seems impossible to find any decent freeware that'll do it.

Associate
Does Syncback do incremental only backups? i.e. it figures out what's been added/changes and just applies that to the backup rather than copying everything over again. I'd be OK paying for a version that does this, seems impossible to find any decent freeware that'll do it.
Yep, does incremental backups. Got mine to backup and then delete after 180 days if they're deleted from the source drive although you can just keep them forever if you really wanted. Plenty of options.

Can't actually remember what the free vs pro actually offers but I'm fairly sure most of the decent options are in the free version.

Soldato
OP
Synctoy does incremental copies from 1HDD to as many as you want. I use it to copy my photos to an external drive and my server aswell.

Free too.

Think it would have any issues with just under 4TB of files? Have tried copying and pasting it and something would usually go wrong.

Soldato
OP
Yep, does incremental backups. Got mine to backup and then delete after 180 days if they're deleted from the source drive although you can just keep them forever if you really wanted. Plenty of options.

Can't actually remember what the free vs pro actually offers but I'm fairly sure most of the decent options are in the free version.

Cool thanks will check it out.

Associate
i.e. it figures out what's been added/changes and just applies that to the backup rather than copying everything over again. I'd be OK paying for a version that does this, seems impossible to find any decent freeware that'll do it.

Hello, I can recommend trying @MaxSyncUp. It executes the incremental backup as you need (only the new/changed files are backed up) and the backed up files do not have the special format and may be easy restored via WExplorer.

But using the free version you may create only one backup profile (usually it does not matter because there is the file tree when you may select all of the files to be backed up).

I use it so may help you if you have questions.

Back
Top Bottom