Simple home network solution for Windows/Android/Apple devices

Associate
I'm looking for a simple way to share files over various devices in our house - I guess the simplest way is to get a NAS enclosure and set that up, but I'd rather see if there's a software solution that will do for the moment.

I've just figured out how to do the basics so my laptop can connect to music & movies on my desktop pc (all media drives are connected to this, either internal or external USB ones), but mobiles seem to be a bit of a fudge-around - I use Airdroid for my Galaxy S9 and I can't see how to give access to my daughter's iPhone....

Typically I'd like to be able to browse the music/movie folder on my pc from my phone and copy over whatever I want - is there one piece of software (ideally free) that can manage network access & file sharing across all three platforms?

Any help much appreciated.

Associate
Can you share the folders on your PC ad use a file browser to view from your phone? I use File Explorer and it's on both Android and iOS.

You could try Syncthing for moving files across.

Soldato
Plex can do this.
Run the server install on your PC and point it at the music and movie folders for each. Install client software on phones/devices and then you can choose what you sync to each device.

***Not sure if sync is a premium feature but if it is then it's £60 well spent

Associate
OP
Is there not airdroid for iOS?
I do (make that did) use Airdroid but for the last few weeks it refuses to auto sign in so it's lost favour at the moment.

Plex can do this.
Run the server install on your PC and point it at the music and movie folders for each. Install client software on phones/devices and then you can choose what you sync to each device.

***Not sure if sync is a premium feature but if it is then it's £60 well spent
I did consider getting a Plex pass but having just bought a laptop I need a zero cost option for the time being - Plex through NAS will be the ideal solution (at home over wi-fi anyway)....eventually!
Plus, I like to have some films on my phone without worrying about mobile data usage: I'm lucky enough to have 256GB on-board memory plus a 256GB card, so I just copy over a bunch at a time and work my way through them.

Can you share the folders on your PC ad use a file browser to view from your phone? I use File Explorer and it's on both Android and iOS.

You could try Syncthing for moving files across.
That got me thinking and I had a look for file browsers in the Google store and found ES File Explorer which can access network shared folders.
The dumb thing is I had it on my old phone but never bothered to put it on my S9+, and it looks like it's available on iOS too.

Soldato
I did consider getting a Plex pass but having just bought a laptop I need a zero cost option for the time being - Plex through NAS will be the ideal solution (at home over wi-fi anyway)....eventually!

Plex is free to use if you don't want individual user accounts and I think free removes sync ability. Would certainly give you a taste of what life could be like. At £60 the premium pass sounds a hit to swallow just for software but I've had mine years now and it's probably one of the best software investments I've made.

Soldato
Plus plex are regularly sending out premium offers. I bought mine earlier this year I think for something like 40/45 quid.

Soldato
That got me thinking and I had a look for file browsers in the Google store and found ES File Explorer which can access network shared folders.
The dumb thing is I had it on my old phone but never bothered to put it on my S9+, and it looks like it's available on iOS too.

Pretty sure there was some massive security issues around ES File Explorer and it was removed from the Play Store

EDIT:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-100-million-users-data-at-risk-fix-promised/

There was also some issues with adware on it where it was self-clicking adverts in the background opening you up to some pretty serious security risks

https://malware.wikia.org/wiki/ES_File_Explorer

Associate
OP
Pretty sure there was some massive security issues around ES File Explorer and it was removed from the Play Store

EDIT:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-100-million-users-data-at-risk-fix-promised/

There was also some issues with adware on it where it was self-clicking adverts in the background opening you up to some pretty serious security risks

https://malware.wikia.org/wiki/ES_File_Explorer
:eek:

That's really odd - somehow its on my S9+ and you're right, it isn't on the store. I have v4.2 but the issue mentions v4.1.9.7.4 and lower.

Soldato
:eek:

That's really odd - somehow its on my S9+ and you're right, it isn't on the store. I have v4.2 but the issue mentions v4.1.9.7.4 and lower.

If you did a data transfer from your old phone to the S9+ there's a chance it was pulled over and it could auto-update itself without needing to be on the store.

I used to use it myself which is how I know.

Back
Top Bottom