Sir King Kenny Dalglish

Don
How do you knight a King?

News coming out tonight that Dalglish is to be knighted. There could not be a more deserving man in football to receive a knighthood - his achievements as a player and manager are one thing but how he lead the club through the Hillsborough disaster, personally attending every single funeral he possibly could, in some cases multiple funerals in one day and then the millions of pounds he and his family have raised for charity is deserving of a knighthood in it's own right.

Soldato
How do you knight a King?

News coming out tonight that Dalglish is to be knighted. There could not be a more deserving man in football to receive a knighthood - his achievements as a player and manager are one thing but how he lead the club through the Hillsborough disaster, personally attending every single funeral he possibly could, in some cases multiple funerals in one day and then the millions of pounds he and his family have raised for charity is deserving of a knighthood in it's own right.

couldn't agree more

Don
OP
As a player I am understandably Meh about his Knighthood. For Hillsborough alone he deserves this and a whole lot more.
In what was effectively a 16 year senior playing career* he won 10 league titles, 5 FA/Scottish Cups, 5 League Cups and 3 European Cups, plus numerous charity shield, super cups etc. It's not as if he was just any old member of the team either, he was the star player of all the sides he played in throughout that period and pivotal to the success. The man was a genius of a player and there's been knighthoods given out for spoting achievements far inferior to his but you're 100% spot on with the 2nd sentence - not enough people know just how much he and his wife done in the aftermath of Hillsborough.

*not counting 3 years as player manager where be barely played but won another 3 titles (not included in the above).

Soldato
In what was effectively a 16 year senior playing career* he won 10 league titles, 5 FA/Scottish Cups, 5 League Cups and 3 European Cups, plus numerous charity shield, super cups etc. It's not as if he was just any old member of the team either, he was the star player of all the sides he played in throughout that period and pivotal to the success. The man was a genius of a player and there's been knighthoods given out for spoting achievements far inferior to his but you're 100% spot on with the 2nd sentence - not enough people know just how much he and his wife done in the aftermath of Hillsborough.

*not counting 3 years as player manager where be barely played but won another 3 titles (not included in the above).

It's not an Anti Liverpool thing don't worry, just personal opinion. Yes he was a wonderful footballer, Scotlands third best striker of all time as well behind Denis Law and Brian McLair ;) Just not a massive fan of pro sports people getting recognition in this way for their sporting achievements, isn't the medals titles etc enough. In as much as HE was a wonderful player, it is a team game. i guess you can argue it's deserved on his contribution to football. As I say don't begrudge him the honour bestowed upon him.

Don
OP
I never thought it was, I was just pointing out that his sporting achievements alone were far greater than a number of others who have received honours for just their sporting achievements.

Back
Top Bottom