Sites taking ages to load - DNS issue?

Soldato
In the last 3-4 weeks I've noticed that some sites take ages to load. The main culprits are BBC News and Sport but I've noticed that Overclockers.co.uk is taking ages to load and in fact I'm getting error messages from Opera once it gives up trying to load the page.

Now I'd say with the networking knowledge I have that this appears to be a DNS issue. I'm not convinced because this issue only started in the last few weeks; my router DNS settings have been unchanged since the day I got it set up a couple of years ago. Anyway I decided to test my DNS settings with a testing app; it recommended some faster DNS servers so I changed those on the router. The problem still occurs so I check out my ISP's status page, BeThere, every so often. There's nothing listed as a problem that would affect me so I'm now quite confused and stuck.

Is there anything else that could be the cause of this considering the DNS settings were unchanged for ages when this problem first occured?

Call Be, theyre incredibly helpful.

Soldato
Cheers. I think BT Infinity is available here. I wasn't aware that Sky did FTTC. Which is better for reliablity and speeds? I know BT do some restricting of traffic during peak hours. Do Sky do something similar?

I've been aware of the Infinity option for a while, I just didn't have this problem I've got now so I didn't see any point in moving.

I had the DNS issue early on; in fact I might not even have ever used Be's DNS servers but OpenDNS instead.

Can you give me a quick example of how you've saved money going from Be to BT Infinity? I thought that Infinity cost a bit more than Be's most expensive package?

Oh, and I agree with your last bit. BE were a very good ISP. Not anymore. Not by a long way. Not for a long time. They are working on an FTTC package but I think it's been mooted for over a year now. However even if their FTTC package turns out to be good value for money, it'll still be using the same internal network that seems to cause lots of problems.

Off the top of my head, it was costing me £50 for Be broadband and BT telephone package. Now that I am with BT infinity option 2 its down to £40, and my speeds more than doubled.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Can you recommend a new router? I was looking at a Billion BiPAC 7800N. Could I use that to sit between the Sky modem and my network? I'd need to be able to disable a modem function and use it as a router.

I believe the 7800N is compatible with Sky's MER authentication method. Check the Billion forum. The VDSL2 modem is provided by BT Openreach and plugs into the router's WAN port.

Soldato
OP
Call Be, theyre incredibly helpful.
If there's a massive problem with their network how can they help me?

Off the top of my head, it was costing me £50 for Be broadband and BT telephone package. Now that I am with BT infinity option 2 its down to £40, and my speeds more than doubled.
Whoa! What on earth were you paying £50 for? BE or BT? That's a heck of a lot.

I believe the 7800N is compatible with Sky's MER authentication method. Check the Billion forum. The VDSL2 modem is provided by BT Openreach and plugs into the router's WAN port.
Will do. Thanks. :) I've also found skyuser.co.uk which I will check out in detail before making any orders.

My only concern about the 7800N is that some threads here on OcUK imply that it isn't brilliant in its implementation of QoS.

Soldato
If there's a massive problem with their network how can they help me?

I'm on Be and no problems here currently. If theres a massive network problem, its not reached the North West.

The reason for suggesting ringing them is when I did have a problem a while back they where really helpful with sorting my line drops. They put me on a profile which increased my speed but stopped the drops! Obviously you have a differnet problem but at least give them an opportunity to try and fix it for you.

Soldato
OP
ASUS RT-N16 running Tomato might be better when it comes to QoS.
Looks very good that. Any reason to go for that instead of the RT-N66U? Apart from price obviously! :p

I'm on Be and no problems here currently. If theres a massive network problem, its not reached the North West.

The reason for suggesting ringing them is when I did have a problem a while back they where really helpful with sorting my line drops. They put me on a profile which increased my speed but stopped the drops! Obviously you have a differnet problem but at least give them an opportunity to try and fix it for you.
I'll give them a ring but having seen the costs and speed of Sky Fibre, I can't imagine I'll be staying with BE much longer.

Associate
I had no issues with Be 2 months ago either, and it was less than £30/month for be line rental + be unlimited. Not sure how anyone managed to pay £50!

I moved to BT Infinity though which is a bit pricier but the extra speed is nice. The routing (as mentioned frequently in the BT thread) is bloody terrible.

As for gaming, I've had Netflix going, an olympics stream, a couple of SC2 streams going and still get a very steady 19ms to bbc.co.uk (which is low as it ever gets, cursed routing). When grabbing stuff from usenet it jumps around a bit (say, 19-40ms) but that's about it. I suspect that as a gamer sharing an FTTC based connection would be absolutely fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can't think of one. Get the RT-N66U if you have the cash.
I think I'll be able to afford it. ;)

I've seen "8x SSID" listed as a feature of the RT-N66U. I can't find anything in the manual or on the Asus site to fully explain this. Does this mean I could set up different SSIDs for different people in the house or different uses? So I could have my iPad use its own SSID and another for my phone and again for my Kindle? :D:p

Soldato
OP
Right so I've just got off the phone with BE. I've asked for a MAC code and I've also started a cancellation so that on September 16th my BE account will be closed. Hopefully I can get Sky Fibre set up by then. If not I'll just have to run the 50m CAT5 cable from my brother's room for a while! :p

Soldato
Bad luck. :( Which ISP are you with? Hoping to get my MAC from BE tomorrow so I can start on my Sky Fibre switch. :)

BT fibre.:(

Had enough here with issues, gone to the top, & complained to Ian Livingstone.
Progress is slow, but I have had my second 18 month BT Infinity contract canceled.
Still fighting for the line change, I'm not one to admit defeat.
So, I only have about six months of present left, will then jump ship to Sky fibre.
Hopefully by then Sky will have their isp fibre transfer up & running, making it easier to move providers.

EDIT: Has anyone on this forum ever manage to change to another pole, cabinet just to get a better connection, ie speed & upload?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I've ordered Sky Fibre. Should be getting an engineer round on Friday September 7th between 1pm and 6pm. :)

Think I will wait until a few days after its all set up to get the Asus RT-N66U router. I want to make sure it's all working fine before I then add in my own equipment. :)

Interestingly Sky couldn't pick up my phone number that I'm using for BE so I'll be getting a new phone number apparently. Does that mean I won't need a MAC from BE as it's a new phone number?

Back
Top Bottom