Six Nations Rugby 2018

Permabanned
This shows it more clearly, it's pretty obvious it hits his finger. I thought it was a try before seeing this and I'm English!

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattyjwills/status/962636592656605186/video/1

Still not seeing it, there is no obvious movement to indicate contact and that camera angle isn't helping as the hand appears behind the ball with no depth to give perspective, could just be a reaction your seeing thinking he might catch it as that's what he was trying to do, the whole thing was accidental, not intentional.

Soldato
So many daft refereeing decisions in that game, I don't see it being a decider (even though it was correct in my view).

The incident where an extended period of England attacking pressure gets up the 5-metre line and then Nowell goes in to secure a ruck and gets pinged for going off feet, which was absolute nonsense. Meanwhile England and Wales are throwing themselves superman style off feet at rucks the rest of the game, not forgetting both sides straying well offside. Just terrible, inconsistent officiating.

Looking forward to the next game, I'm English first and foremost but family is half Scottish, my annoyance at the grand slam being off the cards would be totally offset by happiness for the Scots to get a huge win :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Still not seeing it, there is no obvious movement to indicate contact and that camera angle isn't helping as the hand appears behind the ball with no depth to give perspective, could just be a reaction your seeing thinking he might catch it as that's what he was trying to do, the whole thing was accidental, not intentional.

Come on, you can see his finger bend back from the ball hitting it and then a split second later the ball changes direction when it then hits the knee. Either way, we were lucky. They didn't seem to be looking at that in the TMO and based on what they were looking at they got it wrong.

Permabanned
Looks like World Rugby have admitted the Wales try should have stood, I'm glad because the TMO should take longer with these decisions, they ultimately affect the game and the tournament as a whole and they need to get it right.

Come on, you can see his finger bend back from the ball hitting it and then a split second later the ball changes direction when it then hits the knee. Either way, we were lucky. They didn't seem to be looking at that in the TMO and based on what they were looking at they got it wrong.

I don't see that at all, there is some movement but it could have just been a reflex as the ball hit his knee, rugby balls are quite heavy so you would expect to see more movement than that, plus the angle is a little deceiving anyway.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't see that at all, there is some movement but it could have just been a reflex as the ball hit his knee, rugby balls are quite heavy so you would expect to see more movement than that, plus the angle is a little deceiving anyway.

Not sure what you mean by "a reflex". In that slow motion video you can clearly see the moment it hits his ring finger knocking it back. It hits his little finger a split second later and then you can see the ripple the ball makes in his skin as it his hit knee. As to a rugby ball being quite heavy so it would move the fingers more; the finger gets smacked out of the way as the ball hits it and then the ball hits the next thing in the way after that which is the knee which doesn't give way.

Permabanned
Not sure what you mean by "a reflex". In that slow motion video you can clearly see the moment it hits his ring finger knocking it back. It hits his little finger a split second later and then you can see the ripple the ball makes in his skin as it his hit knee. As to a rugby ball being quite heavy so it would move the fingers more; the finger gets smacked out of the way as the ball hits it and then the ball hits the next thing in the way after that which is the knee which doesn't give way.

Still not seeing it, telling me over and over again isn't going to make me see something that isn't there.

Man of Honour
World Rugby confirmed yesterday that the TMO got it wrong and that it should have been a try so presumably they've had the chance to review all the available angles in a much more leisurely manner than the TMO and come to the conclusion that there was no knock-on or other impediments to awarding the try. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43046791. I'm not a big fan of Eddie Jones generally but I think he's got a bit of a point here that for the governing body to review and say it was the wrong decision might somewhat undermine the referee - then again I'm not so sure he wouldn't use it as vindication if the situation was reversed.

Soldato
How can you not see the ball moving his finger?

Why don't you try and independently extend the finger next to your pinky and see how possible it is without something hitting it..

Also, from memory, it looks like the English player touches the ball at the same time as the Welsh player. It didn't look like it at first glance but the English player's hand speeds up but it's very difficult to see, I missed it the first few times.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, that's a clear knock on then. Right decision for the wrong reason. Regardless, it was a very exciting game for such a low scoring affair.

In the end though, I'm just glad Scotland achieved some sort of redemption after ******** the bed in Cardiff.

Soldato
Really exciting weekend of rugby ahead of us. Really looking forward to Scotland V England for the Calcutta cup and of course Ireland V Wales...2 big clashes.

This is doing the rounds on FB and made me titter...

TBF some would get it...some are a six pinter or more...

Soldato
great game :D 1st half won it. Thought England didnt seem up for it till the 2nd half and for once Scotland defence held when england kept coming at them. No nails left :D

Soldato
Well fair play, Scotland deserved the win. It was like England couldn't be bothered in the 1st half and I'd agree it was relatively boring play by them this game although I wouldn't say Scotland were any more exciting?

Back
Top Bottom