Sking/Snowboarding 09/10

Caporegime
I think we're leaving it till the last minute this year, might be back to Switzerland or over to the States again.

Might even have a chance to knock ol' Stu up late season next year funds permitting as well ;)

Soldato
Took my damaged custom into Snow and Rock today to see if they could do anything but they refused to touch it - shame really as although all the layers are split it's only the tail so still rideable as a backup.Was hoping they'd just do an epoxy job on it.

Says a lot about Snow & Rock really.

If you took it to a decent shop in any resort, they would try their hardest to fix it, even if it is in a pretty bad shape. I'm sure there must be some good techs in this country somewhere though.

Associate
Says a lot about Snow & Rock really.

If you took it to a decent shop in any resort, they would try their hardest to fix it, even if it is in a pretty bad shape. I'm sure there must be some good techs in this country somewhere though.

Apparently these chaps are pretty good but that would involve hauling my board to Milton Keynes: http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/klinik.htm

Like you say, think I'll just stick it in my bag when I go this winter and get it repaired while I'm away then keep it for bad snow days.

Associate
Thinking about Courcheval this year, never been there before but I've definitely narrowed it down to either France or Italy. Would love to go back to Canada (went to Whistler a few years back) but it's just too expensive :(

Went to 1650 earlier this year. Quite nice resort with access to huge ski area, though it was on the pricey side. I guess most of France is like that!

Going to Val D'Isere soon I hope - Is it as good as it sounds? Just need to get myself a board now, any tips on where to start looking?

Man of Honour
I'm off to Stubaital in Austria this Christmas for a week's skiing holiday. Haven't been skiing in 10 years! The ski technology has completely changed since I've been - it's going to be interesting... Love it though, used to do it pretty much every year for 10 or so years. Can't wait! Lots of holidays this year and next - it's a tough life :p

Associate
I'm off to Jasper in December, first snowboarding holiday in about 6 years. I can't afford to get much new gear, so I'll be using my old bottom-of-the-range Salomon board, circa 2001.

Looking to get a helmet for this trip - don't really want to spend more than £60. Currently looking at the Smith Holt, is this any good? I'm not fussed about listening to music, find it too distracting.

Soldato
Took my damaged custom into Snow and Rock today to see if they could do anything but they refused to touch it - shame really as although all the layers are split it's only the tail so still rideable as a backup.Was hoping they'd just do an epoxy job on it.

Why not just have a bash at fixing it yourself? Grab some epoxy, p-tex and some good scrapers and you're away. :)

Associate
Why not just have a bash at fixing it yourself? Grab some epoxy, p-tex and some good scrapers and you're away. :)

It's one of those things that I like to think would be really easy, I'd then make a half arsed botch job of it and have to chuck it anyway. Would rather get someone who knows what they're doing to have a stab even if it sets me back a few notes.

Mate forwarded me a pretty nice deal to Les Arcs 2000 earlier today - £550 bed, brek and four course dinner (inc wine), flights and transfers + 200m from lifts. Not been to any of the Les Arcs before though - anyone got a verdict?

Soldato
Mate forwarded me a pretty nice deal to Les Arcs 2000 earlier today - £550 bed, brek and four course dinner (inc wine), flights and transfers + 200m from lifts. Not been to any of the Les Arcs before though - anyone got a verdict?

http://www.igluski.com/les-arcs-2000/chalet-matterhorn_p27732?holidayid=22706866

We're planning on getting the whole place end of Jan - so don't book then!

wow thats seems like a great deal

When you factor in that it doesn't seem to include ski passes, which using Val Thorens as an example could be anything up to 180 quid, 730 odd quid for skiing in France doesn't seem like such a good deal to me.

I'll be holding out for the mates rates we get with Neilson as they are one of our clients.

Les Arcs is a very good resort with a lot of variation. We stayed at 1800 which I think was a good idea, be careful of closing lifts if you go down the lower alpine sections late in the day.

Associate
Prices across the euro zone are up quite substantially this year - I'll be happy with a £180 lift pass, Val last year was 235 euros!

Man of Honour
I read an article in the paper (maybe telegraph) that recommended getting everything paid for in pounds before you go, as it works out cheaper than euros when you're there... does that sound right?

Naf

Naf

Associate
Well I went to Sno!Fresh at Castleford Xscape on Wednesday, had a brilliant time - got my 180s dialled by the end of the session and also managed to get iron crosses integrated into the few grabs I like to mess around with. Also did a curved C box for the first time, which was good...except my thigh has massive bruise from the first few attempts at it lol.

I do however, need a new pair of boots as I have somehow managed to outgrow mine since April (I've hand them for a couple of seasons now and they were fine up until I last used them in April)

I fancy some Salomon SPK Kaos, not too fussed about which year - truth be told I actually prefer the old ones:

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=701706

to the new ones:

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi?prod_code_in=701905

Does anybody know any other online shops, or any shops for that matter who I would be able to ring on Wednesday this week to possibly order some? I am going to Snow & Rock in gateshead and getting measured up, then will see what they can do and ring around a few places and see if they can beat them. Ellis Brigham have the old style for fairly cheap, but I bet they're not in the size I need lol.

Back
Top Bottom