• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skip 4000 series wait for 5000 series?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I think my 3080 Ti FE will hold me nicely until the 5000 series. I CBA to try get a 4000 series, demand will be insane.

Yeah I think with inflation up high, recession kicking in, the stampede that fought over the 18 months for a 30 series card will not have the same appetite to do it again particularly when electric has trebled and people dont have the disposable income. Hopefully this might mean an actual msrp level and after performance reviews settle those that fancy a trade up can readily see a buy button.

:cry:

Soldato
Yeah I think with inflation up high, recession kicking in, the stampede that fought over the 18 months for a 30 series card will not have the same appetite to do it again particularly when electric has trebled and people dont have the disposable income. Hopefully this might mean an actual msrp level and after performance reviews settle those that fancy a trade up can readily see a buy button.

:cry:
It was always gonna happen, i guarantee you people will have overspent during lockdown on stuff they don't need because they couldn't get away on holiday etc. Fingers crossed demand for gpu's will fall sharply this year and hopefully mining won't be as excessive this year either!

Soldato
It was always gonna happen, i guarantee you people will have overspent during lockdown on stuff they don't need because they couldn't get away on holiday etc. Fingers crossed demand for gpu's will fall sharply this year and hopefully mining won't be as excessive this year either!

Yes at some point both the miners and scalpers will offload baggage, gamers wont realise how much choice but the second hand marketplaces should correct to reflect. Thing is when not if. The timing could be all over the place but we do know the next gen releases will be late september into october and this time I am on the sidelines watching it closely! :)

Soldato
I think my 3080 Ti FE will hold me nicely until the 5000 series. I CBA to try get a 4000 series, demand will be insane.

Just my imo don't think demand will be as high few things happened last time that caused the perfect storm

Might be at launch but can't see it lasting long , I myself will try for AIB also depends what AMD brings if inflated most likely go with FE again

Soldato
I'll probably stick with the 3080 and skip the 4000 series. Plenty of power in the 3080 for what I use it for, and there's every chance my 750W psu wont be up to the task for the 4070Ti / 4080 or whatever. So skip 4000, think about a system update once Zen 4 has been out for a while (or the intel equivalent) and see what 5000 series or the latest AMD offerings bring.

Soldato

About the only time it won't be is around 18 months from launch like now when demand has fallen off as everyone's waiting for the new cards to drop which they won't be able to buy then I'll think about it!

Caporegime
Quite happy with my 1080ti, 4790K and 4K screen, which currently suits my needs just fine.

The way the PC hardware market is going, I can see myself skipping the 3k, 4K, 5k, whatever k series as there’s simply no value whatsoever to my mind.

If and when my current setup can’t handle whatever I wish to play, I can see me spending £500 ish on a console if I really want to game because frankly a few grand to get to the current equivalent of what I have is just laughable for a hobby.

I’d rather spend it on a decent holiday!

Last edited:
Associate
Based on what we are being told (bearing in mind there was a major info leak from Nvidia) which is probably somewhere between 70% and 90% accurate I’d skip 4000 series tbh

The only caveat I’d make to that is come Sept if their 102 die (don’t focus on the model numbers pls) comes in at a great price then and only THEN reconsider cos a less than perfect GPU at a good price is a viable product. History of course tells us Nvidia will spin it left right and centre to maximise their interests.

I own a 3080 btw b4 anyone is dumb enough to start drawing sides…. I’m on the side of best raw perf per $ any proprietary platform exclusive tech no matter how good it looks or performs can go take a long walk of a short San Francisco pier

Soldato
I am in two minds, as said earlier there is the possibility I could do something like sell my 3080 for under £200 the cost of buying something like a 4070 FE. However on the flipside I dont like the way the PC market is going, high wattage, and high purchase price. So not only will it become expensive to upgrade but also expensive to run. If only consoles had cheat engine and non sandboxed gaming for modding.

Soldato
You should really base your decision on things like your display capability or the likelihood your upgrading components in the short term. If for example you are happy with a quality 1080p unit with most of the bells and whistles, you could just maintain a GPU like a 2070 or thereabouts and not waste your time/money fighting over a next gen card that wont really bring much of an improvement in that type of scenario.

Soldato

I'm hoping for a unicorn sighting as well! Bet the scalpers are busy sharpening their tools and getting dizzy in anticipation.

Back
Top Bottom