Skt939 and Dual Core support question

Associate
I managed to pick up a skt939 motherboard for around a tenner (MSI K8N SLI Platinum).

I also managed to pick up a 4400+ X2 for £125 (used) which I think it's not a bad deal.

However, I just discovered that the motherboard doesn't support dual core without a bios upgrade.

So my question is, can I still put the cpu in the motherboard and then do the bios upgrade? Or will the motherboard just won't recognise the X2.

Please help...

Soldato
Hi,

I think you will need to use a single core SKT 939 athlon to upgrade the BIOS for your X2.

The BIOS won't recognise the X2 CPU code, and the board won't POST.

Try and find a cheap "barton" Athlon 2500+ (non 64 bit) off eBay just so you can do the BIOS upgrade.

djkav said:
Hi,

I think you will need to use a single core SKT 939 athlon to upgrade the BIOS for your X2.

The BIOS won't recognise the X2 CPU code, and the board won't POST.

Try and find a cheap "barton" Athlon 2500+ (non 64 bit) off eBay just so you can do the BIOS upgrade.

wo wo wo dont get a 2500+ barton thats a socket A!!!! :eek:

either the board won't post, or it will post but just display it as a single core cpu (which in your case would show as a 3700+ SD ithink. someone correct me if i'm wrong). you can put the cpu on the motherboard without a hsf just to see if it posts (i mean just for a second or two only!!). it can't blow out or anything due to the in build heat protection amd 64s have. if it wont post then im afraid you'll need some other single core cpu in order to flash your bios. try borrowing one but if you have to buy one i would get a 3000+ second hand from somewhere then flog in on fleebay.

Either way thats some good hardware you have for a good price. will be fast when its all working :p Hope this all helps :)

Back
Top Bottom