Sky Box internet connectivity issue at the moment.

Soldato
Noticed at some point today, our Sky+HD box stopped being able to access the internet. So On Demand, Box Sets and Cinema all just went to a painfully slow screen with no images downloading. Pick of the Day doens't load/show and the search feature is reduced.

I connected the box in question directly to the router. Power cycled the box and the router. Same issue. Even tried a spare Sky+HD box I happened to have, and the same issue.

Contacted Sky and seems they have an issue their end...

Soldato
Hey @NeilF - I know it has been a couple of days now, you know Sky have an issue their end and may have also possibly found this fix (which may help you)...try changing the DNS setting on your Sky box to 8.8.8.8 - I did this earlier since all our box set downloads have been failing for a few days now and they seem to be working again. Once you set the DNS you may have to power cycle your Sky box.

Soldato
OP
Hey @NeilF - I know it has been a couple of days now, you know Sky have an issue their end and may have also possibly found this fix (which may help you)...try changing the DNS setting on your Sky box to 8.8.8.8 - I did this earlier since all our box set downloads have been failing for a few days now and they seem to be working again. Once you set the DNS you may have to power cycle your Sky box.
Sorry, I forgot to reply to you at the time.

On my third call to Sky, finally someone admitted it was a problem on their end. They took my details, including my box number, and by the next day all was OK again, except the "Top Picks" (which I don't really care about). And that was then working the next day.

ps: I looked on my Sky Q router where I could set the DNS source and couldn't find it. ie: Where to specify 8.8.8.8.

Soldato
Sorry, I forgot to reply to you at the time.

On my third call to Sky, finally someone admitted it was a problem on their end. They took my details, including my box number, and by the next day all was OK again, except the "Top Picks" (which I don't really care about). And that was then working the next day.

ps: I looked on my Sky Q router where I could set the DNS source and couldn't find it. ie: Where to specify 8.8.8.8.

As far as I can remember you can't change it on a q router as it's very locked down as is the QoS load sharing, to be brutally honest the best place for that router is the bin.

Soldato
If you want to throw a free router that works absolutely fine, and in my case fast, away... Fine... :eek:

If it's the q router and your using WiFi it's certainly not fast with the QoS load balancing and trust me load more than 25 devices on WiFi and it will buckle, couple that with the limited 5ghz channel selection and yep only good for the bin.

I replaced it with an Asus ax88u now that's a router, router level add blocking and VPN along with decent QoS settings. Oh and you can set the DNS on it :p

Soldato
OP
If it's the q router and your using WiFi it's certainly not fast with the QoS load balancing and trust me load more than 25 devices on WiFi and it will buckle, couple that with the limited 5ghz channel selection and yep only good for the bin.

I replaced it with an Asus ax88u now that's a router, router level add blocking and VPN along with decent QoS settings. Oh and you can set the DNS on it :p
That's all fine and dandy, but risks sounding a tad elitist? ie: For vaste most home users the Sky Q Router will be more than adequate for their needs and perform well. And I suspect they'd certainly gain little from replacing it with a £300 alternative.

And even when it's not - as in my case with a largish property with a lot of wifi devices - simply adding on a dedicated mesh system for a little over £100 makes the system very effective (IMHO).

Anyhoo, we're a long way off topic of a short Sky outage...

Soldato
That's all fine and dandy, but risks sounding a tad elitist? ie: For vaste most home users the Sky Q Router will be more than adequate for their needs and perform well. And I suspect they'd certainly gain little from replacing it with a £300 alternative.

And even when it's not - as in my case with a largish property with a lot of wifi devices - simply adding on a dedicated mesh system for a little over £100 makes the system very effective (IMHO).

Anyhoo, we're a long way off topic of a short Sky outage...

That we are ha ha, just my opinion of the q router, the ax88u satisfies my needs perfectly and as such I found it a good investment giving more control over my £30 odd a month fiber conection, I got frustrated with the q box and like posted earlier not even able to change the DNS on it was frankly awful.

Should have also mentioned I had a sky outage for 3ish hours the other night

Back
Top Bottom