Sky broadband has been rubbish these last few weeks

Soldato
Hi, I dont know if anyone can help but my internet has been on and off everyday these last few weeks and I am putting it down to it being busy because of the lock down....

But im thinking it might be my end because when the phone is in use, the internet quite often disconnects, but not every time which is a bit odd? Im thinking about buying a new master bt phone socket in case the filtre thing is wearing out, but I changed it about 3-4 years ago when my net was totally rubbish but its been rock stable until now.

How long does the filtre things last in the socket, I have the BT 5C master socket.
Tl44emR.jpg

Also how long do routers last for, I got rid of the sky hub router and bought a billion router at the sametime of changing the bt socket?

Soldato
OP
I would do that, but we have another socket that my family use all the time with the phone and that socket doesnt work with the faceplate removed.

Soldato
OP
How many phone sockets do you have in the house? (Primary/secondary sockets)? Primary been a main line incoming and secondary are runs that come off the main primary socket.

that correct, the master socket is the primary socket with just the router connected to it and then I have the secondary socket in another room with the phone connected to it... I'll see if I cannot plug the phone and router into the master socket to test it for a day, as it wont be that much of a big deal Im sure as the phone is cordless.

Soldato
OP
I have just connected the phone and router into the test socket, now to see if that solves the problem or not. Could it just be of the high demand of the internet because of the lock down?

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a line fault. Have you reported it to Sky as a potential line problem and had them test it from their end?

Test using their router. If it's faulty get them to supply you with a new one.

I will connect up sky's router later on or tomorrow, I just need to make sure its setup correctly so all the devices will work correctly.

Soldato
OP
The filtered master socket removes the need to filter the extensions, as long as the extensions are wired correctly.

You have a line fault - I can't think of any situation where a ringing phone would drop FTTC sync and the issue be one with the modem/router. As advised above, Sky will want you to test using their equipment first.
I have changed to the sky hub/router now, its been up for about 3hrs so far without disconnecting. So if it does go off, I wont bother changing the router back untill sky has fix the problem, because their isn't anything left I can check is there?

We don't know how they are wired, it's why I said it. :)
I haven't had any problems in 3-4 years without a filter on the secondary socket. Like I say since I bought the new router and master bt socket about 3-4 yrs ago, the connection has been rock solid, I have just kept hoping it will sort its self out, but it hasnt and putting it down to that its busy,, because of the lock down

Soldato
OP
I think its sorted, I ran a intense line check from the sky and I think the fault got automatically reported as it did find a fault. Its been good for 3 days now and its only been disconnecting/reconnecting at 1-2am in the morning as the speed has gone from 9mb down to 6mb, so Im guessing its resetting dayly to improve the connection speed, but no improvements so far.. It didnt help having to connect the sky hub, as that killed the connection speed from 9.2mb to 7mb straight away.

BT has just put fibre FTTP in my area about 6 months ago, I keep checking with sky but I cant upgrade to it atm.. When I do get the fibre, how do I go about connecting it to my router as it doesn't come down the phoneline.

OvfK711.jpg

Soldato
OP
There'll be an ONT installed in your property if/when you upgrade to FTTP. That'll convert the fibre optic to an RJ45 network socket. It'll then be a regular network cable from the ONT to a router.
Much like with FTTC when some people use an Openreach modem separate to their routers.

I have been looking at videos about FTTP and the network cable plugs into the WAN socket of the router and my billion router has a WAN socket.

Can you see anything wrong with my stats as its still only connecting at 6mb but the Attainable rate is over 10mb and it normally connects between 8-9mb? Its has disconnected a few times today for some reason, so it might not be fixed yet.

z4rlXqp.jpg

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply and yes its still disconnecting, I have chatted to sky through facebook but they still need me to ring up to get it sorted. I cannot phone them though as I have a speech problem and the rest of my family are not tech minded at all, plus sky will need to run tests and stuff that will require the sky hub connecting up.. Its sooo annoying that in this day and age you still cant get stuff sorted over the net for disabled people or like me, that cant use a phone ARGGGHHHH.

Soldato
OP
He also said bt open reach had lost the contract to install fttp and a company called gigabit fiber something like that has it. but they are about to loose it. because they should have been installing fttp in rural areas, they have been install ing it in towns. breaking there contract.

I guess thats why bt has just installed it in my area because I live in the countryside

My connection is going off and on like a yoyo atm,, it started happening at 2am. Its reconnected now at 3am and the connection speed has now dropped to 3mb, Whats going on:eek::mad: The "SNR Margin" is going all over the place, ive just seen it as low a 0.5 and as it gets higher the "attainable rate" gets higher (thought it was suppose to decrease). The "SNR Margin" has settled down now at 23 with a "attainable rate" of 8.9mb

15 mins ago
0xEN6ZK.jpg

Now
oCfgQet.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well the net has been great, its been connected for well over a week,, then bang, yesterday and today I haven't been able to keep a stable connection unless I increase the snr to 20+ db.. Im sure its because bt are constantly messing about with the lines in our area, I wish they would leave the things alone.

Back
Top Bottom