Sky broadband has been rubbish these last few weeks

Soldato
Hi, I dont know if anyone can help but my internet has been on and off everyday these last few weeks and I am putting it down to it being busy because of the lock down....

But im thinking it might be my end because when the phone is in use, the internet quite often disconnects, but not every time which is a bit odd? Im thinking about buying a new master bt phone socket in case the filtre thing is wearing out, but I changed it about 3-4 years ago when my net was totally rubbish but its been rock stable until now.

How long does the filtre things last in the socket, I have the BT 5C master socket.
Tl44emR.jpg

Also how long do routers last for, I got rid of the sky hub router and bought a billion router at the sametime of changing the bt socket?

Caporegime
Plug your filter that came with your Sky router into the test socket behind the filtered faceplate, connect your router and phone up, if you still get a disconnection then you have a line fault.

Soldato
OP
I would do that, but we have another socket that my family use all the time with the phone and that socket doesnt work with the faceplate removed.

Permabanned
But im thinking it might be my end because when the phone is in use, the internet quite often disconnects

I would do that, but we have another socket that my family use all the time with the phone and that socket doesnt work with the faceplate removed.

How many phone sockets do you have in the house? (Primary/secondary sockets)? Primary been a main line incoming and secondary are runs that come off the main primary socket.

Soldato
OP
How many phone sockets do you have in the house? (Primary/secondary sockets)? Primary been a main line incoming and secondary are runs that come off the main primary socket.

that correct, the master socket is the primary socket with just the router connected to it and then I have the secondary socket in another room with the phone connected to it... I'll see if I cannot plug the phone and router into the master socket to test it for a day, as it wont be that much of a big deal Im sure as the phone is cordless.

Soldato
I really don’t understand the logic here, you have what sounds like a fault, the simplest way to remove variables such as wiring, filters, phone equipment etc. is to plug the router direct to the test port and have nothing else on the line. Surely your family can survive without using the landline for a few hours if they have mobiles and working Wi-fi? If you can’t do it, phone Sky, have them explain the possibility of a chargeable call out and accept they could bill you if it’s found to be your equipment at fault or wiring beyond the master socket and wait for them. Obviously you risk a person coming into your home who has seen hundreds of other customers this month and being billed for the privilege, but it’s a risk you have to accept if you aren’t willing to do the most basic checks. Good luck.

Caporegime
As Avalon said, that is the minimum that Sky will ask you to do before reporting a fault to Openreach, if you're not able to disconnect the telephone for a short period of time then you'll have to put up with the problem.

Soldato
OP
I have just connected the phone and router into the test socket, now to see if that solves the problem or not. Could it just be of the high demand of the internet because of the lock down?

Permabanned
I have the secondary socket in another room with the phone connected to it

You have got a filter between the phone and socket haven't you? (on the secondary line)

I have just connected the phone and router into the test socket, now to see if that solves the problem or not. Could it just be of the high demand of the internet because of the lock down?

Doubt it.

Soldato

1. Don’t plug in other equipment, it’s another variable and the whole point is that we eliminate variables.

2. No, it’s not lockdown related. Some EU genius decided the world would end because Netflix etc. would be binge watched and saturate ISP’s core networks, they ignored on network caching being a thing and that many EU countries have more than enough capacity for this anyway. It was then sensationalised by lazy journalists who apparently can’t fact check and despite the ISP’s themselves releasing data showing it’s not a problem, it still keeps popping up as a theory. What you could experience is local issues, the same way you always have, eg your home connection has 10 people watching a 4mbit stream on a 30Mbit connection or one member (literally) thinking uncapped torrent uploads are a good idea.

Soldato
Sounds like a line fault. Have you reported it to Sky as a potential line problem and had them test it from their end?

Test using their router. If it's faulty get them to supply you with a new one.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a line fault. Have you reported it to Sky as a potential line problem and had them test it from their end?

Test using their router. If it's faulty get them to supply you with a new one.

I will connect up sky's router later on or tomorrow, I just need to make sure its setup correctly so all the devices will work correctly.

Caporegime
There is supposed to be a microfilter on the secondary sockets.
The filtered master socket removes the need to filter the extensions, as long as the extensions are wired correctly.

You have a line fault - I can't think of any situation where a ringing phone would drop FTTC sync and the issue be one with the modem/router. As advised above, Sky will want you to test using their equipment first.

Soldato
OP
The filtered master socket removes the need to filter the extensions, as long as the extensions are wired correctly.

You have a line fault - I can't think of any situation where a ringing phone would drop FTTC sync and the issue be one with the modem/router. As advised above, Sky will want you to test using their equipment first.
I have changed to the sky hub/router now, its been up for about 3hrs so far without disconnecting. So if it does go off, I wont bother changing the router back untill sky has fix the problem, because their isn't anything left I can check is there?

We don't know how they are wired, it's why I said it. :)
I haven't had any problems in 3-4 years without a filter on the secondary socket. Like I say since I bought the new router and master bt socket about 3-4 yrs ago, the connection has been rock solid, I have just kept hoping it will sort its self out, but it hasnt and putting it down to that its busy,, because of the lock down

Back
Top Bottom