Sky glass

Permabanned
I used to rent tv's all the time in the 90's, everytime a new widescreen came out id switch it out, it was awesome.

Bet you spent just as much on a TV than you did purchasing one. One of the problems I see with renting is you never own. Someone else owns the lot. Not a problem if your going to get the latest one each time. That means you don't need to sell your TV to buy a new one 5 times the cost.

Soldato
I thought this was a good deal but you can pay monthly for any tv and probably get better for the money, imagine getting a sky glass then quitting sky, your TV would be stuck in the Sky ecosystem, then again it would just be like TV+ or Freeview app on any other TV I guess.

Associate
I thought this was a good deal but you can pay monthly for any tv and probably get better for the money, imagine getting a sky glass then quitting sky, your TV would be stuck in the Sky ecosystem, then again it would just be like TV+ or Freeview app on any other TV I guess.
Exact reason I persuaded the wife against a sky glass tv. I'm leaving sky as soon as my contract ends (May retain their broadband as had no issues but) just going freeview and I have IPTV so more than happy to ditch sky and live with netflix, freeview and my IPTV.

Soldato
Had my M (55”) arrive late yesterday.

Initial impressions:
  • Picture quality is good
  • Sound is good
  • No issues with performance over my 80/20 internet (Ethernet over poweline)
  • Interface is simple enough to use
  • Remote is easy to use and well built
  • No problems with play from start like some have reported
Minor annoyances:
  • Viewing angle quality drops off about 30 degrees, where colours wash out (not really a big issue for me tbh)
  • TV is quite quick to want to sleep when no activity is detected, meaning you have to wave your arms around (need to check settings if this can be increased)
  • Voice commands are a bit clunky
  • My TV isn’t sitting straight on the stand, but this might be the delivery guys fault, I found two (non structural) screws on the floor after they left. They were rushing as they were an hour late.
  • No option to play content from USB (knew this in advance, will just use a laptop in the short term)
Overall, coming from a 5yo Sony Bravia 49” 4k Android set I’m happy.

Associate
I posted this in the sky thread forgot about the sky glass thread,
i am after my initial 30 days i think but Do you think I would he able to return my sky glass and go back to sky Q? It is just so inconsistent.

Sound is awful can hear the speaker crackle when at half volume

Crashes all the time usually in the morning when first turns on

The puck upstairs never turns on, usually about 10 mins fiddling about with it then I can't be bothered watching TV

The episodes are very unorganised and usually weeks behind.

The remote stopped working altogether today, checked batteries and there is battery acid leaking right into the remote (duracells provided)

Programmes randomly freeze all the time.

Associate
After 45 mins on the phone just now they have finally let me cancel out of contract due to all the issues happening. Unfortunately I had sent all my sky Q equipment back so need new. And now another new TV but I got my old package back minus the multi room as they wanted £50 for the box which I will wait till I get offered it for free again.

Associate
After 45 mins on the phone just now they have finally let me cancel out of contract due to all the issues happening. Unfortunately I had sent all my sky Q equipment back so need new. And now another new TV but I got my old package back minus the multi room as they wanted £50 for the box which I will wait till I get offered it for free again.

Very wise. Sky know that Glass is a shambles, otherwise they wouldn't be letting so many people revert back to Q, even after the 30 days. There is just too much inconsistency in their hardware and software. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't bother with a V2 Glass TV and instead just fix the pucks and start offering them as standalone devices. Much easier and cheaper to manufacture, and much less hassle with replacing faulty ones.
I think Panther, the Glass delivery company, are doing as many pickups of faulty or returned Glass TVs as they are of new deliveries. It seems as well that the faulty sets are being reconditioned and sent out 'as new' to new customers in new boxes. There were reports today on the Sky forums about someone who took delivery of a 'new' set which arrived covered in fingerprints with a used power lead and remote. I would not be accepting second hand goods if I'd just shelled out a grand for it.

Associate
I had it since November, never realised that I had it for so long but I had a long list of faults to read out to them. Going by there contract clause you can get out of the contract after the initial 30 days in certain circumstances, my faults covered pretty much then all. Panther is picking up the glass tomorrow and an engineer is coming on Thursday with my sky Q. Be happy to have it back again, just need to find a new TV now :cry:

Associate
would be great if the sky puck was available on its own. Annoying that the sky q minis don't do 4k. Sky are bring out sky go on ATV at some point this year so hopefully this will have 4K.

Back
Top Bottom