Sky Mini box only 10/100

Soldato
Hey guys,

I got a sky q and mini box.

the main box when plugged into my switch shows 10/100/1000 but despite everything I do the mini box only shows 10/100 on the switch

i reckon the mini box is 10/100 only
How can I find this out or did I do something wrong here?

Soldato
OP
thanks so the main box comes up on the switch as a Gigg but the 2nd box has an amber light on the switch port I can live with that

What I don't understand is that if I go into the sky box networking settings both boxes actually suggest they are connected via wifi but then if I monitor the traffic on both ports from the switch I can see traffic running over them and obviously 1 green light and 1 link light.
they are clearly both using the wired ethernet but in the settings both boxes refer to my wifi

I called someone up from sky and he said that this is expected and that my connections are definitely wired. he said other customers said the same thing do u all have this same output for wired connections?

Soldato
OP
Have you disabled wifi on both boxes? You need to go into the engineer menu and disable it there. Just telling the boxes to disconnect from wifi isn't sufficient as they'll still have their own wifi network between them.

I'm surprised quite how chatty the Q boxes are. Here's some graphs from my UniFi controller showing the last 24 hours. First graph is the switch port that the 2Tb Q box is connected to:
Yqcw9KB.png

This is the switch port that the Mini (yes, it's 10/100 only) is connected to:
1rJJtoB.png

Purple = transmit, green = receive. Both boxes have been in standby since about 22:00 last night.

yes i tried that but despite me actually turning the wifi off in that secret menu the wifi automatically turns right back on.

I didn't know the boxes have a wifi network between them. So maybe that's why the wifi will not turn off on my boxes?

Soldato
OP
Ah yes, I had the same problem. In the end I reset the Mini box, checked that wifi was totally disabled on the main box and then when powering up the mini box again I had the option to pair using the ethernet cable rather than wifi. Since then it's been ok, I've checked every so often and wifi is still disabled.

I am going to leave it how it is
both cables are plugged into the switch

no problems so far, just wanted to be sure that the traffic is running over ethernet and not wifi :)

Back
Top Bottom