1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky router and access point advice

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by samhain, Jan 29, 2013.

1. samhain

Gangster

Looking for some advice.....

Have 54g sky wireless router it buffers like hell even compressed HD YouTube and I want to move up to n dual band minimum. However I have to keep the sky router in the chain so I could use another router as a wireless access point.

How do I go about setting that up and what is the best dual band n rated router to use.

Thanks

Stu

2. samhain

Gangster

Would the Cisco Linksys ea3500 work as an access point?

3. bremen1874

Capodecina

Almost any router will work as an access point.

Some routers now have specific options that put them into an access point mode. Even if they don't the configuration required is fairly simple.

I believe it is possible to completely replace the Sky router if you want to (although Sky won't help you do it, or support it afterwards).

4. samhain

Gangster

That would be a cleaner solution. Is there a tutorial somewhere to do that as I know they don't like people moving away from their hardware. Not bothered if they don't support it tbh

found it, now have username and password for another router.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. roadie

Mobster

This thread taught me how to use the Sky router as a modem only and use a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH as my routing device...