Sky router with more than 4 connections?

Associate
I'm usually quite good at finding a solution to a problem but i'm having trouble with this one..

Is there a device (extension box/lead?) that will allow me to hard-wire to my Sky router more than 4 internet connections? (RJ11)

I know most use wifi but my connections are taken up with devices connected that cannot be used via wifi. (Dune Box, Smart TV, Sky box, NAS)
Network streaming via wifi is a no, no for me.

So with only 4 connections on my Sky router what are my options to add 1 or 2 more connections?
I know i could buy a router that isnt a Sky router and although they don't approve of non sky routers seem to allow it but my problem there would be is that i have no knowledge of how to set up a 3rd party router and i know it can be a little complicated and to be honest i don't have the time or inclination to learn about things such as "port forwarding" etc.
So..
Do Sky make a product that i can upgrade to?
Is there a simple extension box i can plug into my router? Maybe with a switch between 2 ports? (this would be fine)

I don't really know the name of the product that will help me out here so searching for a solution hasn't been easy for me. But i know one of you guys will know. :)

Thanks if anyone can help me. I'm sure there must be a simple solution.

Associate
OP
Brilliant! Thank you Vampyre.
Just the job. I knew it was just a matter of knowing the name of the thing i needed. Now i know my search of google should have been for "Desktop Switch" heh.

Thanks once again. Will order the one you linked me to. :)

Associate
OP
@NeoVo I take it an "unmanaged switch" will be more easier to use. I'll take a look for one. Thank you.

Edit: I noticed on one of the user reviews on the link Vampyre gave. It's says... "Plug in the cable from your router (if your using it to extend the amount of ports) and then plug an extra 4 computers into it.
Works perfectly."

That seems to suggest to me that this product is plug-and-play for my use of it. Am i correct in thinking this?

Last edited:
Associate
Just the job. I knew it was just a matter of knowing the name of the thing i needed. Now i know my search of google should have been for "Desktop Switch" heh.

Should be plug and play, Robbie did get there before me though :D

Associate
OP
Thank you guys. Sorry for dumbing you down with this thread but networking has always been my weak point. (as far as computing goes)
appreciate the help. :)

Edit: Sorry Robbiec053 i missed your post some how. Yes i meant RJ45 (told you i knew naff all about networking) Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Just search for "8 port gigabit switch" - some good deals on TP-Link ones on the rainforest at the moment. They're RJ45 ports by the way, not RJ11

Back
Top Bottom