Sky signal issues - No support unless you upgrade

Associate
My parents have 2 Sky+HD boxes. Both boxes have been experiencing intermittent signals issues, mainly when it’s windy. When I checked the dish it looked pretty obvious that a tall tree in next doors garden is blocking line of site to the satellite. Dad called Sky to try and book an engineer to move the dish. They outright refused to send anyone out unless he upgraded to Sky Q. He doesn’t want Sky Q as he’s on the older HD package which includes F1 for free. If he took Q he’d have to pay the extra £20 a month for F1. Also it wouldn’t fix the dish obstruction anyway. It’s not a big problem for him as he’s just going to get a local guy to do it instead. Has anyone else experience similar?

Soldato
Had the same, we were on Sky+ with F1 and the signal completely went out. We had just renewed the contract at the time so said we'd cancel within our cooling off period if we could no longer get a signal. They sent out an engineer and the LNB had gone. The Sky+ packages you own the hardware but on SkyQ and above the hardware is leased which is why they support it, same as Virgin Media where you don't own the boxes. That's why they won't send an engineer out as it's your hardware to maintain. Local guy to relocate it is your best solution.

Associate
OP
Yeah I understand that we own the equipment but in the past we also have a failed LNB and house move. Both times we were able to pay a fixed call out fee (£60 ish?) for Sky to send someone out to get it up and running again

Associate
Sky won't support existing Sky+ HD installations any longer - it's an obsolete service to them. They won't send engineers for any dish or box related problems unless it's Sky Q.
I think you can still get support if you pay extra for Sky Protect insurance, but you're probably cheaper in the long run just paying an independent satellite installer for a one-off fix.

Associate
OP
Yeah, that’s what we’ll do. It just seemed an odd way to go about it. It would be like Openreach refusing to fix a fault on a phone line because the handset is old

Associate
Very little about what Sky do these days makes sense. Since Comcast took over they're all over the place and desperate to kill off the satellite service completely. They care little about hardware any more and just want to mass-produce cruddy little Stream pucks and hideous Glass TVs and get rid of Q as soon as they can too.

Associate
OP
Very little about what Sky do these days makes sense. Since Comcast took over they're all over the place and desperate to kill off the satellite service completely. They care little about hardware any more and just want to mass-produce cruddy little Stream pucks and hideous Glass TVs and get rid of Q as soon as they can too.

I thought the same. Just looked at their website. You have to click through several pages before you can even find satellite services. It’s all stream and glass on the home page

Back
Top Bottom