Sky

Associate
When I originally moved house (2007) I did the normal thing of taking out a land line with BT, then everything else (tv, broadband and phone) with Sky.
Now three years down the line I'm considering moving the landline over to Sky and they're telling me that they do all the leg work for me and it's "hassle" free.
I know in the past, that anything connected to BT is a pain in the a**e to sort and always ends up with the customer suffering from personal experience.
I don't want to make the move, then be in limbo with no phone or paying two bills or a third unimaginable option that BT suddenly thinks up :/
Can anyone confirm or deny this for me?
Cheers!

Last edited:
Soldato
The people I know who have done it have had no problems at all.

I've held off because i want to be uncontracted when fibre to cabinet becomes available in my area at the end of the year.

Soldato
sky take care of everything and you only pay sky.

i done this 2 years ago and was very painless to be honest and i was never without a phone either.

Soldato
I switched to Sky for broadband/phone line.

Been a bit of hassle. My phone line hasn't worked at all yet, it has been 6 days. On the day the switchover went live the phone line simply had lots of noise, no dial tone and inability to receive or make calls.
Broadband is stuck ay 7mb, I know it takes 10 days but I have a high ATT and low SNR at 7000kbps sync where it has bounced between 7000 and 7200 for a couple of days now. I was getting double previously.

I e-mailed sky 5 days ago at the start of the week and only got a reply yesterday. I explained I have done all their troubleshooting steps and that I am getting no dial tone/lots of noise and no incoming calls. They replied by e-mail saying they've been trying to ring me to try and fix the problem.

I know they'll sort it eventually and being a cheap deal I expected to have poor customer service, so I can't really complain, but it does annoy me slightly :D

Soldato
I personally can't get Virgin, but I was with them for a year a while back and the 20mb service was shocking to say the least. Although only because the UBR I think it's called was way over subscribed by students (Fallowfield Manchester) multiple occupancy houses, vast majority students, during holidays I got blistering speeds, as soon as they all started term I was down to less than 1mb speeds.

Permabanned
Just be aware, when you change to Sky they effectively take ownership of your phone line (Local Loop Unbundling), which is fine until you want to leave them.

We were with BT for years, and moved our line to Sky, our number was transferred across and everything was fine. Then last year I cancelled our Sky TV contract, which meant I couldn't have phone line or BB through them any more (as you need to have a TV contract). They point blank refused to release our number, which we'd had for years and had been able to transfer over to them so easily from BT.

Basically they told me "we own the line now, if you're leaving that's fine but you can't take your number with you". It was basically a shakedown to try and make me stay, I told them "sorry but I'm never going to do business with you again if you're going to be so petty and unreasonable".

I work in Comms and there's no technical reason whatsoever that they can't transfer your number, they just refused to.

So we went to Virgin instead, who I don't especially like either but their service has been fine, especially their fast BB. :cool:

Soldato
Well 3 weeks after switching to sky I am at 50% sync speed than when I was with IDNet and I have not yet been able to use my phone line, it is completely broken.

I have to communicate by email as I have not got a mobile contract and so far I've had to dig for information. They tried ringing my mobile number but kept mis dialling, they claimed to have tried numerous times despite my mobile number on my profile being correct yet I never received a single call.
So overall a pretty shoddy start.

Back
Top Bottom