Sleep Apnea & Driving license

Soldato
A friend had trouble sleeping at home which turned out to be sleep apnea. He didn't think he had any issues or tiredness when driving until he was driving with a passenger who informed him he was actually nodding and falling asleep for a few seconds multiple times, particularly when stopped at traffic lights etc. He genuinely didn't realise and this is what made him go to the doctors.

You may be unaware of the impact it's having on you.

Associate
It is classed as a notifiable DVLA condition so not worth the risk - your insurance may also be deemed invalid. If you fall asleep at the wheel do you really want the risk of killing someone?

Soldato
It is classed as a notifiable DVLA condition so not worth the risk - your insurance may also be deemed invalid. If you fall asleep at the wheel do you really want the risk of killing someone?
it reminds me of an advert on the TV a good few years ago about driving tired. it went something like..... grandad died peacefully in his sleep and it is this old fella who has passed away , the camera slowly zooms out and then the narrator says unfortunately the people around him didn't and it's the aftermath of of a massive accident and he was at the wheel.

(it was a long time ago so may be missremembering. adverts used to be much better than now imo, there was a brutal one about a teenager texting whilst driving. alas snow flakes would likely complain these days about them being too distressing (which is precisely the point)

Last edited:
Soldato
A friend had trouble sleeping at home which turned out to be sleep apnea. He didn't think he had any issues or tiredness when driving until he was driving with a passenger who informed him he was actually nodding and falling asleep for a few seconds multiple times, particularly when stopped at traffic lights etc. He genuinely didn't realise and this is what made him go to the doctors.

You may be unaware of the impact it's having on you.
Microsleeps

Soldato
I'd thought some of the eye tracking systems in newer cars might alert you (eu mandate no ?)
merc video I saw a while back knew and disabled video for passenger if driver glanced at it.

Soldato
Thought the attention warning systems make increasingly loud sounds (like my smoke alarm) and then brake and pull car to edge of road.

Soldato
OP
@Diagro I have had the results through and i've got severe obstructive sleep apnoea. Got an appointment in a couple of weeks to be setup with a CPAP, no 6 month waiting time for me.
Where did you go?
My sleep lab was at Leicester General. What was your AHI?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd thought some of the eye tracking systems in newer cars might alert you (eu mandate no ?)
merc video I saw a while back knew and disabled video for passenger if driver glanced at it.

ADAS Level 2 needs driver intervention after 5 seconds so its still an issue in such an emergency.

We're trialling DMS on some of our buses. Ours makes a very loud sound and vibrates the driver's seat.

So far the results aren't great as there have beeen onstant false alerts & driver's reporting headaches/eye strain when on the vehicles fitted with DMS.

Man of Honour
I'm glad the DVLA were notified.

Here's a scenario of some of the potential consequences:

Diagro is out driving a short journey, he doesn't feel any tiredness symptoms. Another driver rear-ends him at speed whilst he's changing lanes, crushing his vehicle against a concrete bollard, this crushes his legs and pelvis leaving him for a very long stay in hospital with questions about whether he'll walk again. Clearly, this is horrific, but it happens. The fact is that in this scenario Diagro has done nothing wrong in his standard of driving and it's 100% the other driver's fault.

As part of the investigation around causing serious injury through careless/dangerous driving, the police discover the unreported medical condition by requesting his medical records. Diagro hasn't disclosed anything about his diagnosis as he didn't think it was relevant. Questions are then asked around Diagro's driving and whether he was conscious during the crash (Diagro has no memory of the crash due to the trauma) and whether his driving contributed to the collision. The CPS ultimately decline to charge due to unrealistic prospects of conviction. The police consider prosecuting Diagro for the non-reporting of medical issue, but they also drop this as it's not in the public interest considering the injuries. The other driver has no further action against them, despite Diagro's life-changing injuries. Diagro pursues a personal injury claim as he can no longer work and needs constant care. Due to his unreported medical condition, his compensation payout is reduced by 40% and his legal fees swallow up a large proportion of the rest. The compensation doesn't cover all of his costs and he has the added stress of financial issues during his long recovery.

These are the real-world consequences of decisions such as these.

Edit: it's also worth noting there are two separate offences in regards to failure to notify of a medical condition. It's an offence to just not to notify of a new or worsening condition which is a fine, if you're caught driving as well, it's a fine and 3-6 points on conviction.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What i'm better off doing, is buying a CPAP machine. THEN telling DVLA as they tend to not revoke when the condition is being managed.

You can borrow mine, I haven't used it since Feb 9th 2022, the day I had my full knee replacement.
Apparently I stopped breathing 49 times an hour but my wife says I am way better now and I only wake up once a night where it used to be every hour or more.
Did I consult the DVLA back in October 2020 when I was diagnosed? - No.

However Burnsy makes a good argument.
I haven't informed the DVLA of Apnoea or my wonder diabetes drugs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pretty certain the DVLA don't categorise a condition as notifiable for fun.

How can people here defend driving with a notifiable condition? There is no difference between that and drink driving. You might think you're OK after 3 pints, but....

@SexyGreyFox you must meet loads of people who have been on the receiving end of uninsured drivers - how can you justify your decision?

Man of Honour
@SexyGreyFox you must meet loads of people who have been on the receiving end of uninsured drivers - how can you justify your decision?

I can't justify it but I can 100% assure you that I have never fell asleep while even sitting in a chair.
Here's the thing, anybody with a CPAP knows that the department can log into the machine any time they want to see the results and they haven't said anything since Feb 2022.
I even swopped the machine last year and expected a talking to but nothing happened so they aren't concerned about me.

Caporegime
I can't justify it but I can 100% assure you that I have never fell asleep while even sitting in a chair.
Here's the thing, anybody with a CPAP knows that the department can log into the machine any time they want to see the results and they haven't said anything since Feb 2022.
I even swopped the machine last year and expected a talking to but nothing happened so they aren't concerned about me.
So in that time you've had no follow up appointments (either in person or by phone) in the intervening years?

I find that odd, I've had four follow ups in the last two years, two in person and two by phone, the last phone one was on Monday and her last comment to me was they'd be happy to report to the DVLA that I'm using the equipment correctly and can keep my licenses, yet you've had no contact at all?

I think at least you should contact the sleep & ventilaton department at Royal Stoke and have a word to see if somehow you've dropped through the net.

Caporegime
I'm pretty certain the DVLA don't categorise a condition as notifiable for fun.

How can people here defend driving with a notifiable condition? There is no difference between that and drink driving. You might think you're OK after 3 pints, but....

My grandfather kept driving right up to going into hospital to have his cataracts done - and that was after a 2 year waiting list to have them done. He refused to stop driving as he said he would lose his freedom. My parents sold his car while he was in hospital. Good job as he refused to drive any faster than 30mph as he claimed he couldnt see anything otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom