Sleep mode problem

Associate
Good evening , interesting one this, after windows updates today; coming out of sleep function using the keyboard or mouse does not function. Tried everything my old brain can think of any ideas, thanks in advance

Associate
I assume your using windows 7, there is a known issue and no apparent fix for this issue. i have the same problem, base unit wakes up from sleep but monitor displays no signal.

If your base unit isn't waking up then you issue is not the same as mine, so try looking under the power options for USB devices and allow USB devices to wake machine.

Associate
Is your keyboard and mouse USB? If so.

Go into the power options on windows then USB and make sure that's Disabled.

Then make you Pc sleep and try and bring it back online again see if it works.

Let me know buddy.

Associate
OP
Keyboard G19, Mouse MX518, was advised to disable USB root channels which, I have done. Than you for answering will try and get back thanks again

Associate
OP
Tried that mouse turned the system on but no display, had to restart, this really is head scratching time, thanks in advance

Associate
Go back into power settings and under PCI Express is link state power management.

Turn it off, that should wake your monitor up after sleep as well because the PCI Express
wont go into sleep mode.

Soldato
Hi all.

I recently built a new i7, 7950 spec. It works really well, no problems in terms of performance. However if I leave the screen to go to standby (currently set at 15 minutes) the PC will turn the screen off and if I press any key or wiggle the mouse I get no response. It's almost as if the graphic drivers have crashed.

Also, sometimes the monitor will go to standby, and every few seconds the graphic card fan will spin up to full for 1 second, then spin down again. This repeats until I wiggle the mouse and wake up the monitor. On this sort of occasion I can wake the monitor up, but it's no good having the fans spin up so often like that.

Having read up on Google a lot of people say it's ULPS (power saving mode on the graphic card) and that I need to turn it off. However this hasn't worked.

I have tried the following:
  • Reinstalling drivers (including using Driver Sweeper in safe mode)
  • Turning off ULPS
  • Checking power save settings in windows, this is all off
  • Installing new Beta 12.4 drivers
  • Ensuring all devices are 'set to wake pc'
  • Checked it's not overheating - it's fine

I really don't know what else to try. I've just spent £1000 on this PC and the damn thing won't wake up!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Suggested this in Freeman's thread, but will post here as well.

Try turning Hybrid Sleep off in Power Options/Advanced Settings.

Soldato
Are you sure the system is even still responsive?

When overclocked my system would never return from sleep because it had actually hung, nothing to do with accepting inputs.

Soldato
Suggested this in Freeman's thread, but will post here as well.

Try turning Hybrid Sleep off in Power Options/Advanced Settings.

Already tried that.

Are you sure the system is even still responsive?

When overclocked my system would never return from sleep because it had actually hung, nothing to do with accepting inputs.

Sometimes it becomes unresponsive, I only know this because stuff like the caps lock light doesn't toggle on/off. Sometimes it's ok though and is fully responsive, I just won't have any screen output.

Associate
Bang goes the video card theory, I thought it was down to my HD5770, but Nuts has an Nvidia, and an Intel processor. Which means it isn't AMD either.

I've tried several suggestions, but eventually I end up with the same results. Fans running, PC functioning (the networked hard drives are still available and useable on the network), but no keyboard/mouse response (although they are both powered), and the monitor just goes straight back to standby again (after doing the Digital/Analog/Digital thing).

Updated video card, keyboard drivers, removed several items (like HTC Sync as I thought that was fugging up the sleep mode if it was plugged into USB)

Changing power settings, and resetting them also didn't work.

Associate
Sorry to bump, but I have the same problem. Have done since as long as I can remember (bought the PC off overclockers two and a half years ago now). It came with Vista but I don't recall ever using sleep mode then so couldn't say if it worked back then or not, but it's certainly been an issue ever since I've had Windows 7 on it (it's since I've had Windows 7 I've started to want to use sleep mode to save money since I live on my own now!).

The PC shuts down into sleep mode just fine, and then when I press a button it fires back up, lights come on inside, fans come on etc. The mouse and the keyboard don't "wake up" unless I use them (ie, click the mouse or press a button on the keyboard), but then they light up. Just that the monitors never receive a signal. I'll have to see if I can still access it over the network whilst it's doing this.

In this time, I've had a new graphics card put in (although still ATI) and it's not solved the issue. Interestingly, at one point I managed to accidentally replace the overclocked BIOS that Overclockers did for me with the standard one, and whilst it was operating "normally" it was able to sleep fine. Re-activating the overclocked BIOS gave me all my lovely overclocks back, but it returned to being unable to sleep.

I've scoured the internet and I've never been able to find a solution to this. I've tried all the usual tricks (updating drivers - which I've done LOADS of times by now since this has been going on for years; also, disabling turning off USB, PCI Express, etc.).

Very strange.

Associate
Just to add to my post above - I've just tried waking it up from sleep and, when it hangs, seeing if it appears on the network, and it doesn't. So it really is just hanging - it's not just that the monitors aren't switching back on.

Top Bottom