Sleeping

Man of Honour
I am a major insomniac to the point were it was becoming bad for my health and i was prescribed sleeping pills. Once I am a sleep i will sleep 10 hours easy but getting to sleep is a long painful process which leads to about a maximum of 3 hours sleep on work nights (with out pills).

I can easily fall a sleep in the afternoon after work while watching TV no problem if i let myself but at night no chance.

I am curious, what are others sleep patterns and anyone got any genuine tips on battling insomnia with out medication

While I sympathise with you greatly for the most part, there is a nagging thought that anyone who thinks that a sleep is the correct way of writing asleep, and prefers with out over without should be prodded awake with a trident as soon as he dozed off, until he collapsed with exhaustion :p :p

Soldato
My sleeping is so fubar there's no hope of a normal night's sleep.

It seems I physically cannot get to sleep before silly o'clock (like 3am), and then I can't wake up much before mid-day.

If I go to bed earlier I just lie there, tossing and awake.

Sounds like a ruined sleep pattern.

I think one of the key things for good sleep is also routine. If the time you're going to bed/sleep each night fluctuates by several hours, then it's hardly surprising your body is confused at what time it needs to go to sleep.

The other is you need to find something that helps you relax/switch off - maybe calm music, reading, etc. It'll be different to each person. I suspect we're all guilty of using phones/tablets/laptops right up to the point of trying to sleep (you're posting at 1am for example), and there's been many studies to show that screen use before bed is very bad for sleep.

Associate
My sleeping is so fubar there's no hope of a normal night's sleep.

It seems I physically cannot get to sleep before silly o'clock (like 3am), and then I can't wake up much before mid-day.

If I go to bed earlier I just lie there, tossing and awake.

You need to start by waking up earlier so that you're tired enough to sleep. Obviously the first day or two you'll be completely knackered, so best to start off on a day when you have very little to do. Force yourself to stay awake until bedtime. I did this to fix my sleep by getting up at 6am and hitting the sack at 10pm.

Soldato
Several people have mentioned exercise. As an example, I have just spent a few days in the Peak District. I found I was going to sleep about 20.30 most days, because I was absolutely knackered! I normally go to sleep about 01.00, so a big difference.
Cutting out alcohol and caffeine can be helpful.
I find that if I can't sleep because my mind is whirring (quite common) then listening to a podcast will help me drift off. I put them on a timer so I am not stuck with noise all evening.

Caporegime
Lay down in the dark, close my eyes. Out in less than 20 usually.

I can be looking at my phone up to the second before, no difference, and I will sleep through the next 8-10 hours if uninterrupted. I even drink coffee up until 8pm, i drank tea last night at 11pm, slept like a log.

It's like a superpower.

Tips? erm...apart from trying not to think too hard, be still and stay still in bed.

Last edited:
Exercise plenty but my diet could be better. Once i get to sleep there is no waking me up, it is just getting to sleep. The insomnia pre dates lockdown. MY gran and mum also do not sleep much but it stops sort of insomnia. At its worse i was getting about an hour sleep every couple nights which is what prompted me to go doctors. 4 years later i still take sleeping pills nightly but it is time to stop. Damn brain just refuses to shut off
Not sure if you are allowed to say but interested to know what sleeping tablets you take please?

I struggle to get to sleep but mainly because I have a chronic condition called intersistial cystitis.

Caporegime
I tried everything to sleep during a rough period in my life, but nothing worked.

I turned to drugs to help me and am now addicted to benzo’s. Can’t sleep a wink without one. Very bad situation.

My GP wants me to stop them but my hospital consultant overrules him because he feels it’s too physically dangerous for me to stop them. Withdrawal from benzos can be very punishing.
I've been addicted to codeine in the past and the withdrawal symptoms were horrendous.

So definitely agree with your hospital consultant that it would be dangerous to stop straight away.

I imagine they would suggest a tapering situation if you were trying to come off them.

Caporegime
Sounds crap mate, sorry about that. Heres me taking antihistamines to sleep thinking its an issue.

Promethazine hydrochloride i believe they are called.
Have you tried asking your doc for circadin?

It’s a strong melatonin supplement. It used to be OTC, but it was changed to prescription only. It’s supposed to be very helpful with staying asleep all night as it releases slowly during the night. It’s not addictive like other sleeping meds either.

Soldato
Have you tried asking your doc for circadin?

It’s a strong melatonin supplement. It used to be OTC, but it was changed to prescription only. It’s supposed to be very helpful with staying asleep all night as it releases slowly during the night. It’s not addictive like other sleeping meds either.

Ive heard a lot about melatonin supplements. You seem to be able to buy it online tbf

Associate
I’ma big believer in podcasts to help me to sleep - I went from being up all night at times too sometimes listening to the same podcast for nights on end because I never make it more than 10 minutes into it!!

Soldato
I’ma big believer in podcasts to help me to sleep - I went from being up all night at times too sometimes listening to the same podcast for nights on end because I never make it more than 10 minutes into it!!

Any recommendations?

I used to listen to the football ramble a lot but theyve branched out a lot and i just dont like it anymore.

Associate
Any recommendations?

I used to listen to the football ramble a lot but theyve branched out a lot and i just dont like it anymore.

Football Weekly from the Guardian is my favourite - big fan of Max Rushden on TalkSPORT and it’s the same vibe. The game podcast from the Times is good too. If you fancy something a bit different try The Infinite Monkey Cage or Richard Herring’s stuff (you’ll either love his or hate it!)

Back
Top Bottom