• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SLI and Borderless Fullscreen - workable?

Associate
Can they work together? I don't have a G sync monitor so I'm heavily dependent upon borderless full screen to eliminate screen tearing. I had assumed SLI and borderless full screen simply won't work together.

Flicking through google, it certainly seems there are a lot of issues being reported, but no definitive universal answers. A lot of the info I'm seeing is old too, like ~2013. Is it simply game-dependent and should be considered on a case by case basis?

Associate
OP
I must have misjudged this forum as being a place of expertise and troubleshooting, as opposed to the 'just spend moar' advice usually dispensed.

Man of Honour
There isn't really any different answer to what you have already found out for yourself. A lot of people simply haven't extensively used borderless + SLI anyhow and my own usage of that fashion has tapered off since G-Sync.

mof

mof

Associate
Just tried Battlefield 1 borderless and SLI worked fine.
How does borderless fullscreen get rid of tearing? Does it just turn v-sync on? Since it's on in windows?

Can try some other games if there's anything specific.

Associate

What is the reason to use borderless full screen as opposed to normal full screen.? If it is to get more FPS than monitors refresh rate but still prevent screen tearing than you can use fast sync which does exactly that.

mof

mof

Associate
What is the reason to use borderless full screen as opposed to normal full screen.? If it is to get more FPS than monitors refresh rate but still prevent screen tearing than you can use fast sync which does exactly that.
I don't think fast sync works properly with SLI.

Associate
OP

Just tried Battlefield 1 borderless and SLI worked fine.
How does borderless fullscreen get rid of tearing? Does it just turn v-sync on? Since it's on in windows?

Can try some other games if there's anything specific.

Borderless full screen rarely gets more FPS than exclusive full screen, though it can happen. Back in mega old days there'd be a huge FPS hit for running windowed, full screen / borderless or not.

I had no idea of the effect that borderless full screen had on eliminating screen tearing except by stumbling on it and seeing it with my own eyes. There were actual debates online querying how it eliminates screen tearing versus exclusive full screen, and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer despite sifting through quite a bit of discussion. Possibly something to do with Windows taking over the buffering as per its desktop and enforcing its own vsync. Presumably the trade off is in input lag or something, which I'm not one to notice unless it becomes really obvious.

The difference is, unlike the many vsync options that are usually aimed at limiting FPS to 60 or 30, else tearing, on borderless fullscreen you can be going 35,40,45,50,55 fps etc without screen tearing.

I had a troublesome period with 2x GTX 970s, which at the time definitely needed exclusive full screen to get them both running in SLI with decent utilisation. The screen tearing was horrendous and a constant distraction. Switching down to one GTX 970 with borderless full screen meant less FPS, but the screen tearing went away. Overall, I found that a much much better experience.

Cheers for your responses. I will admit I was a tad grouchy on 24 November :p

Back
Top Bottom