Slient Gaming Build - Advice Feedback

Soldato
I'm looking into build a new PC for gaming.
The idea of this build is to be as inaudible as possible while being a fast Gaming PC

Can you see anything That could be improved/tweaked for noise & performance?
CPU/Motherboard will be some x299/ryzen variant & arleady have a 1080Ti Aorus

Budget for CPU/Mobo £1000
Budget for Parts Around a £1000

After

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ram wise will do.

Fan wise i own the fractals Fans and their not PWM and too loud

I am wondering if a Gigabyte boards software (SIV) would be good enough to keep the stock case fans from getting too loud for you, it has a fan calibration setting and then you get some presets of Quiet, Normal, Full Speed etc and also you can control each fan header individually.

I would try that first (use free software) before blowing your wallet on fans.

Soldato
OP
I am wondering if a Gigabyte boards software (SIV) would be good enough to keep the stock case fans from getting too loud for you, it has a fan calibration setting and then you get some presets of Quiet, Normal, Full Speed etc and also you can control each fan header individually.

I would try that first (use free software) before blowing your wallet on fans.
currently have Noctua which are quiet but if you reduce their Voltage the CFM drops dramatically. as a test ive bought 4 bequiet of these fans (they sem to push more CFM at 1000Rpm and at 15DB vs Noctuas 20db!

but am rewatching the bequiet reviews (case wise)

Caporegime
1000W PSU is a bit too high? or are you thinking it will never ever get under any sort of pressure and thus remain quiet? the EVGA Platinum and Superflower 750/850W Platinum+Gold are quiet PSUs with Hybrid fan mode so the fan stops spinning under a certain temperature.

Same for the RAM, 3000Mhz is usually like £120 and enough.

Soldato
OP
1000W PSU is a bit too high? or are you thinking it will never ever get under any sort of pressure and thus remain quiet? the EVGA Platinum and Superflower 750/850W Platinum+Gold are quiet PSUs with Hybrid fan mode so the fan stops spinning under a certain temperature.

Same for the RAM, 3000Mhz is usually like £120, 3200Mhz is more like £160.
will swap the ram, good point!
i have a Superflower PSU 1300w Gold and its the loudest thing in my current rig in Fanless mode so not going their again.
also after reading reviews many users are complaining of loud fan noises on all EVGA PSU's where as the RM Series max is 24DB at full load. which at 1000W it will never reach

it should run at 14db in theory same as the Bequiet fans

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/~/media/4B2170F683DE40C1B9AA29F91D84CBF7.ashx?w=625

** Do Not Hotlink images **

updated basket
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
^^ That is one thing I like about my Seasonic PSU - it runs dead quiet upto about 250 watt load so a potential reason I might go for one of the higher rated models down the line that can run higher output power under the same low noise condition.

Man of Honour
That is true - the reason I dumped the AIO from my setup as it was whining quite badly and by far the loudest thing in the case :(

Soldato
OP
TBH you could get all this "quiet" stuff and then end up with coil whine from somewhere.

Forgot to say that Bequiet also do (unsurprisingly) quiet PSUs.
possibly Stulid, hopefully the Noise damping will reduce that by quite a bit + im 4M away. im hoping Ocuk will build it for me with Quiet in mind. so they can replace stuff with Coil whine

Bequiet PSUs was in my target too

hat is true - the reason I dumped the AIO from my setup as it was whining quite badly and by far the loudest thing in the case
@Rroff Exactly why im not going AIO just another thing to make noise

Soldato
OP
Fanless PSU from Superflower? 550W would be ok for a single 1080Ti.
i did consider the sea sonic version. i would not buy the Super flower due to my unit making a loud coil noise when fan is not running so i would assume the fanless edition would be the same

however 520w could be a push

Soldato
The idea of this build is to be as inaudible as possible while being a fast Gaming PC

BTDTGTTS

You want the Nofan CR-95 CPU cooler, either the 460W or 520W fanless PSU from OCUK, and the Silverstone FT02 or FT05 case. The only fan in your system will be the one on the GPU. Mount the GPU in the second full PCIe (usually x8) slot. This worked well for me. I was running a Titan XM on a 460W fanless PSU with no problems at all. You should also consider dumping HDDs for SSDs.

Soldato
OP
BTDTGTTS

You want the Nofan CR-95 CPU cooler, either the 460W or 520W fanless PSU from OCUK, and the Silverstone FT02 or FT05 case. The only fan in your system will be the one on the GPU. Mount the GPU in the second full PCIe (usually x8) slot. This worked well for me. I was running a Titan XM on a 460W fanless PSU with no problems at all. You should also consider dumping HDDs for SSDs.
had a look at your suggestions

Nofan is not powerful enough unfortunately only 95W TDP with a bit of an OC be pushing the limits.
Regarding the Silverstone Fans are loud (18Dba) but i really considering a fanless PSU

Associate
Hello,

My PC is in the living room, otherwise the mrs would never see me, so my PC has to be quiet.

My old seasonic 850w PSU was the loudest component in my case and i've done a lot of research including jonnyguru forums. You have 2 choices... the Corsair RMx or the EVGA P2. I bought the EVGA P2 650w as it operates in silent mode up to 600w - i run a 4770k/1080 Ti OC'd system. The PSU fan has never ever spun up even under full gaming load.

here is a noise profile for the EVGA P2

screenshot_243.png

RM650x

screenshot_245.png

The loudest component in my case is the ROG strix under gaming load.

1000w PSU is overkill, you'll not use 550w.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom