Slow download rate with wireless...

Associate
When I've got my pc connected to the network via my USB netgear wireless dongle I can only seem to sustain download rates at between 800-900kbps although when I start the download I get about 1700kbps. After a couple of minutes it then slows down to about half.

However when its connected up via ethernet I get the top speed constantly with no slowdown.

Now is this due to the USB interface and would I able to get rid of this problem with an internal PCI wireless card?

P.S The wireless connection has an excellant signal and connects at 54mbps.

Associate
OP
OzZie said:
What are you syncing at? If its over 12Mbit/s then USB could be limiting you iirc.

Yeh my sync rate is 15334 so it probably is being limited but judging by the speed I get it looks to be limited to about 8-9MBit/s. Would I be able to download at full speed if I were to get a PCI wireless card or is it best to get one of those homeplugs?

Soldato
The USB will only be the limiting factor if it's USB1 at 11Mb/s. USB2 is over 400Mb/s so there's no way that will slow 54Mb/s wireless. It could well be the wireless itself. The rated speed may be 54Mb/s but that's the combined speed for both directions - a complete marketing con. It's also very inefficient so you're lucky to get even half of the actual speed. So, you're looking at a quarter of 54Mb/s which is 13.5Mbs. Oh look, we're down below your sync speed of ~15Mb/s....

Something else that just occurred to me is that it might be due to insufficient disk space or excessive fragmentaion where you're trying to store the downloads.

wij

wij

Associate
If you do go for a homeplug solution you might want to also consider that they don't work at their rated speeds either ;)

I have a pair of 200mbit rated solwise ones that give me about 45mbit/sec average throughput, although that is far more than I was able to get from WiFi and also much more reliable.

Back
Top Bottom