Slow internet speed over powerline

Associate
I am aware that powerline adapters are not as fast as ethernet cables. However despite upgrading to a 300Mbps internet package the devices that are connected to our router are not recieving very much bandwidth. The image linked below from my google drive shows the results of a speed test done on my pc which is connected to a powerline adapter. It also shows the bandwidth between the powerline adapters in TP-link's software which is far higher than the speed test. Devices connected directly to the router via ethernet will recieve speeds above 300Mbps. I have changed out all the ethernet cables across the network to make sure none of them are faulty or have low bandwith. I have also tried removing every device from the network other than my PC. Can somone explain to me why this is happening and if possible how to fix or mitigate this issue. I apologize if i am just being stupid.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ompD_CVy2wSxz1eZswizacGX-PgUFM0/view?usp=sharing

none of them are connected to surge protectors. They are all directly in the wall. My pc is on the second floor and the main TP-link connected to the wifi is on the first floor. I did a speed test on the firestick which is connected to a TP-Link with the sname name and got 90Mbps.

So what you've actually done is got powerline adapters and combined them with wifi, then set-up devices on different floors to access the wifi on the floor below and decided non of this was going to be relevant when asking for help? Let's keep this simple and brief: Powerline sucks. You know what sucks more than powerline? Powerline adapters with wifi AP's built in that are on the floor below. You can either fanny about trying to make this technical abomination less awful by moving the adapter upstairs for example and praying to whatever imaginary friend you may or may not believe in that it gets better, or you can run a cable, enjoy 300mbit (and more in time) and be safe in the knowledge that you chose a better path.

The powerline adapters do not have wifi aps built in they are just powerline adapters. What i am trying to understand is why the mismatch in speed between the speed test and the reported speed in the TP-Link software is so large. PLease look at the image i attached to the first message if you want to read the results yourself

Last edited:
Can you draw a network diagram? Doesn't need to be fancy, something on paper and then photographed with your phone will do.

What are the models of the TP Link powerline adapters? Some of them advertise 600Mbps speeds but only have 100Mbps ports on.

In my experience, the theoretical performance of powerline is way beyond the real-world.

It doesn't surprise me that your kit is saying one speed (probably what it can do in a burst test point-to-point) and the reality of when you're trying to run multiple routes at the same time.

The reason I finally ditched my Netgear set up was because it couldn't handle bi-directional at all - it would saturate the downstream and then break its upstream, and not really exceeding 100mbps anyway.

My kit is rated for 1Gbps i know it cannot achieve that. If you look at the image attached in the first post it shows a diagram of all the powerline connections. What is confusing me is the software i used to analyse rhe connection is reporting much greater bandwith between the powerline adapters than i seem able to access

So what you've actually done is got powerline adapters and combined them with wifi, then set-up devices on different floors to access the wifi on the floor below and decided non of this was going to be relevant when asking for help? Let's keep this simple and brief: Powerline sucks. You know what sucks more than powerline? Powerline adapters with wifi AP's built in that are on the floor below. You can either fanny about trying to make this technical abomination less awful by moving the adapter upstairs for example and praying to whatever imaginary friend you may or may not believe in that it gets better, or you can run a cable, enjoy 300mbit (and more in time) and be safe in the knowledge that you chose a better path.

I was just about to come on here and say power line adapters are terrible don't bother.

........but I think you sufficiently covered it ;)

My kit is rated for 1Gbps i know it cannot achieve that. If you look at the image attached in the first post it shows a diagram of all the powerline connections. What is confusing me is the software i used to analyse rhe connection is reporting much greater bandwith between the powerline adapters than i seem able to access

This might help explain.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2928/

So those speeds between the devices are "up to" values. And as it mentions, a 30-35% converstion value from those figures is normal. So using your screenshot from the main powerline to the PC powerline adapter it is showing 213Mbps. Take off 35% and you should be seeing ~138Mbps. So yes, you are a little under what should be expected but it all depends on your electric wiring and interference (plus the fact you're on a different floor / circuit).

To summarise, those figures shown basically have very little relevance to the speeds you will actually see.

As we've said, you really need to ditch them. :)

Thank you for explaing. Sorry!

I'm going to look into running a cable or using a wi-fi range extender to just run my pc off Wi-fi. The wi-fi signal to my pc is currently rather weak beccause it is at the opposite end of the house to the router which cannot be moved

Last edited:

I'm going to look into running a cable or using a wi-fi range extender to just run my pc off Wi-fi. The wi-fi signal to my pc is currently rather weak beccause it is at the opposite end of the house to the router which cannot be moved
No need to apologise - I used to use them as well so feel your pain.

Gotta love a not quite but almost condescending Avalon post. But yes, power line always has and always will... Suck. Make a WiFi mesh or run a cable.

Cable > Powerline > WiFi

A WiFi range extender is a step down IMO. They suffer from half duplex and interference more so than power line.

If you want “good” speed and stability, it’s really worth running a cable and if you’re going to the effort of running one, run two.

It’s probably cheaper than buying a mid range extender.

Yeah, I had the same. I fixed it with a WiFi mesh.

Don't buy a range extender either, they offer a terrible experience too. What you want is an access point. Run a cable up to your loft and install the AP there.

My pc is on the second floor and the main TP-link connected to the wifi is on the first floor.

The powerline adapters do not have wifi aps built in they are just powerline adapters.
Can you see how poor use of terminology isn’t helping? Do you mean you have powerline adapters between your PC and the AP or router?

Powerline tends to quote symmetrical speeds, so half of what the app quotes, subtract the overheads and thats how 200mbit becomes 65mbit in the real world, on a good day. Also, while not an issue in your case, anything rated upto 500-600mbit usually came with a 100mbit chipset to get back to LAN… did I mention powerline sucks? :cry: As mentioned earlier, a network diagram would help us to help you, but removing powerline will almost certainly resolve your issues.

Don't buy a range extender either, they offer a terrible experience too. What you want is an access point. Run a cable up to your loft and install the AP there.
Agree on range extenders being about as horrible as powerline, but if they're running a cable to the loft, it’s not going to be much harder to drop down into the room with the PC and get full speed. For the sake of one 8mm hole and some plastic trunking, its a clear winner.

Gotta love a not quite but almost condescending Avalon post. But yes, power line always has and always will... Suck. Make a WiFi mesh or run a cable.
While its lovely of you to take the time to critique my posting, ironically yours literally added nothing new to help the op, or add to the conversation. Surely as the self appointed reviewer of post standards, you should be doing better?

Back
Top Bottom