Slow pc?

Associate
My office pc is cable conected to my Virgin router and downloads at 350-400 mbps . My newly built X570/ryzen game pc is also conected to the router via cable (20metres) but can only strugle to 90mbps . Both are on cat5e . Any ideas what the issue could be ? Thanks!!

Soldato
No Powerline adapters you haven't mentioned?

Check the cable first. Plug it into the office PC and make sure it still gets full speed.

I'd then be checking drivers and trying it in safe mode. Does the board have one of those awful 'Killer' NICs? Are you running heavy-handed AV or VPN software?

Booting it into a Linux Live environment can also be a good way to identify whether it's a hardware of software problem.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Agree with checking the cable first. Download speeds of 90Mbps suggest your new PC has a link speed of 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps.

Associate
OP
Yes its my cable . I made a new one this morning . Cat 5e straight through. Pins all tested ok. Only 100mb on both machines .. very strange. I am guessing it is my crimp tool . I have lost my normal one so bought one of those cheap green ones of ebay?

Back
Top Bottom