Slow SSD performance in a mini-pc

Associate
Hello, I've been using a MeLe Quieter3q mini PC for a while with a Crucial P3 Plus 1TB in the NVME M.2 slot. I've recently ran into performance issues due to slow drive speeds. Running CrystalMark, the result are hilariously bad. I've check a few things recommended online, like write cache setting etc, but nothing was out of order. Anyone has any ideas where I should look to resolve this?

9o2Glczf2_2C_2560x0_esdlMP5Y.png

I've recently ran into performance issues due to slow drive speeds.
Can you describe these scenarios exactly?

This drive uses QLC memory which can cause very slow write speeds if you exhaust the cache, until the cache is able to recover.

How full is the drive?

What are the specifications of the PCI-E slot?

From what I understand, these min-PCs have a PCI3.0 nvme. The write scenario is basically an app recording a video file. Cache filling up definitely sounds like it could be the case, since it the slowdowns are periodic. I can free up the drive and try benchmark again. I was just expecting a bit more than the 1/10th of the declared write speed.

Can you change test size to 8GB and post result so I can compare it to other Mini PC with Intel Celeron N5105 reviews online to see if your SSD performance is good or bad.

That is poor - you aren't going to get amazing NVME performance on these 4 core low power Celerons - the chipset doesn't have a ton of bandwidth available - but I still get around (just under) 1GB/s sequential write (~70% drive space utilisation) with a Samsung 980 on a similar MeLe mini PC.

Last edited:
Emptying up the drive brought the numbers back up quite a bit. Checked my fast ssds and fuller partitions are cooked as well. Did not realize it could get this bad, will be more careful about this in the future :)
AcgronjSbnVa_2560x0_esdlMP5Y.png

Back
Top Bottom