Slow write speeds on new Gigabit home file server

Associate
So I finally got all my parts delivered to setup a home file/backup server this week.

It's currently running Ubuntu Server and I'm using Samba to share files on my network.

The server currently has a 2TB WD Green drive in it connected to a Asus M5A78L-M

This is then connected via CAT6a to my new Gigabit switch (TP-Link TL-SG1005D).
My home desktop is then also connected to this switch and again also through CAT6a cable.

Currently when transfering files I will get a perfect 100MB/s read from the server to my Windows machine.
When copying from my Windows machine to the server I get around 30/38MB/s.

I know this drive is capable is faster speeds so would anybody have an idea of where the bottleneck/problem is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Syther101

Associate
Is it a Samba issue?

I'm sure I've seen mention of Samba causing write speed issues, but just at the moment, I can't think where I read it.

Associate
OP
Is it a Samba issue?

I'm sure I've seen mention of Samba causing write speed issues, but just at the moment, I can't think where I read it.
Yep using Samba.

I have tried transferring using ftp and it works at the speeds expected. Is there a better way to setup a file server other than using samba?

Associate
OP
Samba has some buffer settings in the config file. You could try increasing these.

Also, the HDD may have an impact if it's journalling eg ext3.
I have tried increasing these and also commenting out this option so it goes to default and neither make much of a difference.

And via either Windows 7 or ftp on my Windows 8 machine I get the fill 100MB/s Write/Read.

Also on another note on Mac OS X I get 54 MB/s for both read and write

Back
Top Bottom