Small side project.

Associate
Im posting it here as the SFF section is pretty dead.
Well with my current rig just using silly amounts of power for basically msn and browsing, so iv decided to keep it for gaming and to one day finish my main project but build another for what I mostly use my pc for.

Uses are:

Browsing.
Light PS.
Chat.
Watching SD/HD movies.
Listening to music.
Leaving on all night downloading.

So the spec will be:

E5200.
Zotac GF 9300-I-E Nvidia (Socket 775) DDR2 Wi-fi.
Crucial Ballistix Tracer Red 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz.
Small laptop drive for OS and programs.
Large eco 1TB+ storage drive.
Large CPU cooler.
150w Pico PSU.
Lian Li PC-Q07 Mini ITX Case.
2x Black silent fans.

I plan to not use a ATX PSU like the case is designed for which should give me enough room to run a big CPU cooler and slow running fan to allow very very low noise and not too bad temps. I expect i will do some other case mods like a window and some braiding but we will see. Will update with some pics once the parts start rolling in next week. I dont want this to take more than a few weeks so should see it finished pretty soon.

Found this pic (Thanks Neil) just to give an idea of size.

4237930942_559fabdce3.jpg

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Well im thinking more along the lines of a TRUE black. Possibly running passive with the case fan doing the work. All depends on space. I would like to cool the mobo too so maybe something like a Scythe Zipang 2 would help that. Silent as possible is the aim here.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well not much of a update but anyway.

The case was first to arrive today and although I expected the box to be small, when i walked though the door after work i was alittle shocked on how small it really was.

IMG_3103copy.jpg

Once opened up I stole a vented dvd bay cover to help alittle with the cooling. Matches the side of the case too. The case already had some fingerprints on and the invoice was inside so looks like nova must have had a peak before sending.

IMG_3105copy.jpg

IMG_3118copy.jpg

Not quite sure where i can mod the case to fit a quiet case fan. I may design a new cover for where the PSU would be and have it cut out of black brushed lian aluminium. Just as more vents to let cool air in.

Tomorrow the mobo should arrive for some fitting and measuring for coolers.

Thanks Brad.

Associate
OP
Few more bits of hardware arrived.

Little Zotac itx board. Cute ;)

IMG_3122copy.jpg

IMG_3126copy.jpg

Some new DDR2 ram that should kinda match the mobo abit while not been too tall.

IMG_3149copy.jpg

Got the E5200 fitted and then mounted in the case. My plan is to turn the PSU hole into a intake so i think im going to cut out some sort of window in the side and fill it with some tinted plexi as you can see with the red outline.

IMG_3144copy.jpg

What im still totally un decided on is the CPU cooler...

Do I go for a tall cooler like the TRUE which would hardly need any air to keep the cpu cool? Problem is it wont send any air to the mobo which i feel will be a problem soo theres always this. One thing i dont like though is the cost and if it will fit..

noctua_nh_c12p_se14.jpg

Associate
OP
Looks pretty big compared to the little mobo.

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

Tested in the case I found it wont fit at the moment as it fouls the dvd drive supports but that's nothing alittle trimming wont fix. Got a new fan coming tomorrow hopefully so will get rid of that **** coloured noctua.

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

Associate
OP
It will be blowing warm air across but it shouldnt exactly be hot. Will probably run it at stock or a very mild OC.

As this is the only fan in the case it needs to get air across the mobo some how.

Associate
OP
Well i wanted it to be really cheap (£200 max) but thats kinda gone outa the window. All the parts are on there way to my house now. Cost alittle over £500 total without OS.. Hopefully it will be finished at the end of next week as long as theres no problems.

Associate
OP
More pics of bits that got delivered today.

Some new MX-3 TIM. Iv always used MX-2 so was a easy choice.

IMG_3195copy.jpg

Small collection going now.

IMG_3202copy.jpg

Also decided on a 1150rpm Typhoon in the end. Its not the best looking fan around but should be very very quiet.

IMG_3197copy.jpg

IMG_3207copy.jpg

All fitted.

IMG_3213copy.jpg

This is the amount that needs to be cut out of the 5.25" bay in the roof which I plan to do tomorrow.

IMG_3214copy.jpg

I should be able to get it wrapped up on Monday/Tuesday bar the PSU plate vent I want to get made up by Tom.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Hdd and PSU came today but not happy with the position of the hdd mounting so going to adjust that alittle to help cable tidying.

As for the rear plate iv decided on this design with the Lian-li logo to try keep a stock look. Will be CNC cut outa some aluminium.

Rearplate.jpg

What ya think?

Associate
OP
Very nice build there, that cooler looks quality made...have to agree with you on the nactua color sceme....it's ugly. And the case is great, which is to be expected of most lian-li's these days.

I was thining about a little HTPC as im very much the same as you, got a gaming rig that i mostly use to browse, use office software and msn. However the 500 price tag for this rig has kind of put me of the idea :S, my main rig didn't cost to much more than that.

Well tbh i probably would not have built it if i knew how much it would end up costing but as it progressed i just said it would cost as much as it cost and i wouldn't cut corners if possible.

Associate
OP
Ok last load of pics for awhile till the rear PSU plate is made and the hdd cage is moved so i can get it totally finished but as of now its up and running. :)

This was rushed but theres snow outside so had to cut in the house.

IMG_3223copy.jpg

Now the cooler fits

IMG_3224copy.jpg

IMG_3231copy.jpg

Last parts, the 150w PicoPSU and 1TB sammy F3.

IMG_3244copy.jpg

IMG_3241copy.jpg

There was a hole already in the back of the case for the PSU plug so all went together quick.

IMG_3233copy.jpg

IMG_3248copy.jpg

Cheers.

Associate
OP
I forgot to put the wifi card in so had to dismantle and fit that so did alittle cable tidying too.

IMG_3292.jpg

(Really low apature as shooting hand held so crappy pic)

Just waiting on PSU plate now. I actually found it plays the only old game i play with over 100fps average so pretty happy. :)

Associate
OP
holy mother of god.. and i thought my cooler was big in that case :D

(no worries on the pic in the first post by the way lol)

Lol your build totally inspired me to do this. Glad you posted your thread :)

Very nice work Bradley8988, may i ask what kind of camera you used to take those pictures?

Thanks mate its a Canon 400D.

Back
Top Bottom