Small Upgrade advice?

Soldato
Morning all, just been pondering about a bit of an upgrade soon, to stave off the cravings for c2d (which I really cannot afford!).

Current Specs:

Biostar iDeq 330p SFF (nForce 4 shuttle type thing!)
2x512mb Crucial Ballistix PC4000 2-2-2-5
AMD64 3500 Winchester
X800XT 256mb
Drives and that!

I'm just thinking an upgrade of processor might be in order now the x2's have crashed so much in price. Now im totally out of touch with hardware at the moment (last time i read about ANY of it was when core2 was called conroe and opterons were all the rage!). So what should i be looking at, would an upgrade to say an x2 4600/3800 weild me much extra performance, and what about a 2gb ram change?

Cheers for any advice guys, and yes i will quite happily grab a cheaper notoriously overclocking version!

Associate
You can afford the Core 2 Duo!

ASROCK 775 VSTA (not available at overlcockers alas, for £35 elsewhere, supports DDR, DDR2, PCI-E and AGP) and a Core 2 Duo 4300. Total £150. Use your old Graphics and Ram. Overclock easily ;).

New hotness!

Or the new ASROCK 4CoreDual-VSTA for like £37 which is the new and improved version! Supports Quad Core!

EDIT - just noticed you are SFF - so you are out of luck alas!

Soldato
OP
artaxerxes said:
You can afford the Core 2 Duo!

ASROCK 775 VSTA (not available at overlcockers alas, for £35 elsewhere, supports DDR, DDR2, PCI-E and AGP) and a Core 2 Duo 4300. Total £150. Use your old Graphics and Ram. Overclock easily ;).

New hotness!

Or the new ASROCK 4CoreDual-VSTA for like £37 which is the new and improved version! Supports Quad Core!

EDIT - just noticed you are SFF - so you are out of luck alas!

Sorry i don't really do things by halves. When i upgrade to c2d I'll go the full shebang not some Asrock shemale board! My PC /was the mutts nutts whan i bought it i'm just waiting for dx10 to really get going and summer to come so i can earn some dollar to go c2d/q.

Soldato
OP
mishima said:
LMAO!!

So how much you got to spend?

Well technically none! But meh im bored and fancy an upgrade. I'd probably be willing to spend up to £150 + the sale of my 3500 (30-35?) and my RAM (70-80?).

Obviously the cheaper the better, but I'm willing to spend the right amount should it be worth it. If you catch my drift.

Soldato
OP
naro said:
your rig looks decent enough to me.

Maybe you might want to a 7800GT or increase your ram to 2 x 1gb.

Not really fussed about gaming performance, tis what my xbox 360's for. The only game I'll play on my pc will be star wars galaxies (if/when they fix it!! :mad: ) and this handles it fine.

I'm more interested in general windows (vista) speed, multitasking/programming/compiling etc.

Associate
since you wont be doing much gaming on it, i'll suggest that you upgrade your rams to 2 x 1gb. I presume your SFF only has 2 ram slots.

And maybe get yourself a gb or 2 of Readyboost-ready flash drives.

Your Crucial Ballistix have pretty good resale value. Sell them and you might be able to get 2 x 1gb of Corsair Valueselect or Kingston Valuerams with a bit of top-up.

Back
Top Bottom