Smart Bulbs

Associate
An excellent product with excellent software. That just works, is super simple and easy to set up, adapt and use.

That’s what people want. No one wants a super complicated system just to save a couple £ and constantly having your parents phone until they eventually say ‘get rid of it’.

Why on earth once you’ve got it all set up and running in say 1 room, would you move to a different system? Being locked in to one light blub system that works flawlessly isn’t even an issue.
You are missing the point entirely.
He said they are the best bulbs which they are not. I mentioned how easy they are and how a lot people want that and have no dispute with that point.

Some other systems are super complicated,as you put it, others are not complicated at all and just as good with better bulbs.

As to your last line that is my point. You should not have to be tied into a closed system at all. Things like Zigbee are invented so you can use which ever products
you please and they all work happily together. They don't because greedy manufactures want to tie you in to their products.
Hue can work with things like home assistant if your technically inclined but even then you don't get the full range of things the app can do so they are deliberately
limiting you. I have also heard they are planning to make it not work with these other systems in the latest firmware's.

Soldato
It’s the whole product that makes it the best. A few extra lumens and/or temperature ranges doesn’t make up the difference in the smart lighting i’m afraid, neither does being able to use inferior apps or 10 hours longer life time.

You just want it to work and especially if it’s for your parents, who you’ll have to sort it if anything goes wrong.

Get the one that works and won’t have any issue. That peace of mind is worth an extra couple of £ per light.

Associate
It’s the whole product that makes it the best. A few extra lumens and/or temperature ranges doesn’t make up the difference in the smart lighting i’m afraid, neither does being able to use inferior apps or 10 hours longer life time.

You just want it to work and especially if it’s for your parents, who you’ll have to sort it if anything goes wrong.

Get the one that works and won’t have any issue. That peace of mind is worth an extra couple of £ per light.
I am getting fanboy vibes from you so you will not listen to anything your told in regards to why they are not the best.
So on that point we will have to agree to disagree.
I am glad you found something you like and get on with. An awful lot of people really enjoy the simplicity of the hue system.
Have a good Christmas and a happy new year.

Soldato
OP
How are they going to control the lighting, voice or switches ?

I run our house using a Hubitat hub, even my wife is happy with it.

This is probably the stumbling block. I can't see them managing without smart switches. They do have a Sonos that can run Alexa but I don't think my mum will grasp that if she turns them off with the regular wall switch she can't turn them back on with the Alexa and vice versa.

Soldato
This is how I did it.

The switch. These have a physical push button with a proper tactile response. No messing round with capacitive touch buttons. This will allow you to control the existing ceiling light fittings without smart bulbs, but also have voice control via Alexa.

Then some compatible smart sockets. Use these online with any existing side lights.
(Or you could use compatible smart wifi bulbs instead of the sockets).

In the Smart Life app, you can set an action on the second switch to turn the sockets on/off.

This would eliminate the need for any voice control.

Associate
Hue are certainly not the best.
If you look at the genuine fair comparisons with their competitors, i.e. not the paid for adverts you see on YouTube etc these days, the actual Hue bulbs don't fair well usually.

I call them the Apple of light bulbs. A mediocre product with good software.
They are popular because they just work easily but will try to lock you into their own eco system and charge you through the nose for the privilege.
This is fine if that's what you want and a lot of people do but they are certainly not the best bulbs
We will have to disagree (with respect), I have close to 100, some are almost 10 years old. Only ever had one go and that was after a move.

They are also the most fully featured, have a great range + accessories, and offer seamless integration with Home assistant.

Soldato
If you look at the genuine fair comparisons with their competitors, i.e. not the paid for adverts you see on YouTube etc these days, the actual Hue bulbs don't fair well usually.
What would you recommend instead for someone with no smart lights starting out?

I’m not going to watch hours of YT comparisons, so can you give me a tl;dw?

Soldato

I call them the Apple of light bulbs. A mediocre product with good software.
They are popular because they just work easily but will try to lock you into their own eco system and charge you through the nose for the privilege.
This is fine if that's what you want and a lot of people do but they are certainly not the best bulbs

Well that's clearly a load of rubbish.

"Try to lock you into their own ecosystem" - I suggest you have a read up on how hue bulbs work and then come back and amend your comment.

Soldato
We will have to disagree (with respect), I have close to 100, some are almost 10 years old. Only ever had one go and that was after a move.

They are also the most fully featured, have a great range + accessories, and offer seamless integration with Home assistant.

I only have 2 but they have been flawless and just needed them to work with minimal fuss.

Soldato
I use a mixture of Hue lights and Aqara Smart Switches because it’s all HomeKit compatible - but I’ll shortly be adding Home Assistant to the mix.

Associate
What would you recommend instead for someone with no smart lights starting out?

I’m not going to watch hours of YT comparisons, so can you give me a tl;dw?
To be honest i would not recommend any of them.
I don't feel the need to push my choices onto others.

I appear to have upset the Hue fanboy club but i am genuinely happy they have found something they like.
My initial comment appears to have been misread as i was only disagreeing with the statement their the best. They are not the best bulbs in my opinion and other people who have reviewed them properly agree with me.
I even said a lot of people like them and they are popular, have good firmware etc but the fanboys only see the negatives of people who disagree with them.
So enjoy your Hue bulbs boys

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest i would not recommend any of them. I don't feel the need to push my choices onto others.

It’s not about “pushing your choices onto others”, it’s about providing helpful information for other people to make an informed decision.

They are not the best bulbs in my opinion
and other people who have reviewed them properly agree with me.

What are the best bulbs in your opinion? The ones that other reviewers agree with you about?

This isn’t some kind of “gotcha”, I have no dog in this fight. I’m genuinely interested as I’m looking to go down the smart bulb route in the near future.

Saying “x isn’t the best”, without providing an alternative isn’t particularly helpful.

Soldato
To be honest i would not recommend any of them.
I don't feel the need to push my choices onto others.

I appear to have upset the Hue fanboy club but i am genuinely happy they have found something they like.
My initial comment appears to have been misread as i was only disagreeing with the statement their the best. They are not the best bulbs in my opinion and other people who have reviewed them properly agree with me.
I even said a lot of people like them and they are popular, have good firmware etc but the fanboys only see the negatives of people who disagree with them.
So enjoy your Hue bulbs boys
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Associate
A very wise man once told me

Never argue with stupid. You will never convince them to change their minds and they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
You cant change stupid.
I find fanboys are just as difficult to to change the mind of and they will always tell you they are not fanboys.

So i am out of this one

Back
Top Bottom