SMART Roadster - Yay or Nay?

Soldato
probably a decent car but I think it looks like utter pap.

I'm with paradigm get a mx5 even it does drive like a 'tank'*

*which is odd seeing as its meant to be one of the most balanced and best handling cars around.

Soldato
I dont like them to be honest, they look cheap and nasty, I appreciate that some people like the styling but its not for me.

Could be fun to have a blast in one though, and see what its really like.

Get an Mx5 for the win :D (and tank my arse by the way)

Soldato
Build quality is appaling, they leak like sieves.

They do look Ok though, proper gear box and decent power you could excuse it leaking, and misting up, and the electrics failing, and the alloys rotting before your eyes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Spike_UK said:
My Mum has MX5, it's like driving a tank. Not a pleasant drive at all in my opinion, but thx for the feedback. :(

Drives like a tank, its about as far away from driving like a tank you can get son, sounds like neither of us have any idea what you're talking about.

Anyways on topic, smart roadster, no its a right pile!

Associate
sure your mums car isnt a mx6? same chasis as the ford anal probe now thats a tank!!

mx5 has won numerous handling awards and is the best sports car avaliable today!!! (in the normal persons price range)

Soldato
First off, you really need to drive it to see if you can live with the gearbox. Make sure you have the F1-style paddles, as the auto shift is dire.
The two things that knocked it down in my book were the gearbox and the time to pull away from a standing start.
Plus side, it is fantastic fun to drive. Low slung, corners great. Can tend to understeer.
Trim - well yeah its a tad plasticy :)
Storage space - make sure you get the coupe if you want more than the bonnet space. The glove box has space for a pair of gloves ... literally.
You may need to invest in some straps to make sure stuff doesn't fly into the cabin when you're braking hard for those corners as well.

oh and did I say drive it :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I used a roadster for a couple of days whilst on holiday 2 years ago.
As already mentioned, the gearbox is really not suited for spirited driving, but frankly that's about the only bad thing I can say about the car, apart from the obvious point that it's got bugger all space (an MX5 does have more boot space).

It was fun, great steering, acceptable ride, the one I had didn't leak (drove through a rainstorm for a while), handled very well and had far more grip than go. It felt like I was travelling at 100mph when the speedo was registering 100kph, which can be a good thing. If you want fun at the expense of motorway cruising ability, it's an interesting option.

The biggest problem with the smart is that the MX5 does exist, and frankly it's a better car.

Associate
Yay!

Really like them - ok you have to accept they're not very fast and that 'box has its shortcomings but I think they're cool cars. Put up against the 'competition' I can imagine it wouldn't come out on top in too many categories (performance, build etc) but you have to say are cars like the mx5 really competitors when the SMARTS engine is so smalll, and its build/looks/ergonomics so lego-like? I don't really think so and for me that sets it apart and makes it an interesting choice. I also appreciate the ethos of low weight/mild power.

Ok so its probably beyond quirky and crosses the line into mildly irritating in some respects but apart from that(!) they aren't everywhere and owners seem to love them. If you've got the cash and can see it for what it is I say go for it... seems like a good price considering the time of year too.

Man of Honour
They don't particularly do much for me. However I'm sure they are quite fun nippy little cars. However they are still city cars and IMO of course have no points in their favour outside the city. Secondly the looks are very marmite too. From what I hear they are over priced, but for the money that you'd buy one of those you could get an mx5 which would quite frankly decimate it in every aspect conceiveable.

Spike_UK said:
My Mum has MX5, it's like driving a tank. Not a pleasant drive at all in my opinion, but thx for the feedback. :(

Are you sure it was an mx5 you were driving? The car that is reknown to have one of the best chassis in it's class? You need to drive a few more cars to educate your palette methinks ;)

Associate
OP
s-man said:
Yay!

Really like them - ok you have to accept they're not very fast and that 'box has its shortcomings but I think they're cool cars. Put up against the 'competition' I can imagine it wouldn't come out on top in too many categories (performance, build etc) but you have to say are cars like the mx5 really competitors when the SMARTS engine is so smalll, and its build/looks/ergonomics so lego-like? I don't really think so and for me that sets it apart and makes it an interesting choice. I also appreciate the ethos of low weight/mild power.

Ok so its probably beyond quirky and crosses the line into mildly irritating in some respects but apart from that(!) they aren't everywhere and owners seem to love them. If you've got the cash and can see it for what it is I say go for it... seems like a good price considering the time of year too.

That's what I find appealing about it. It's sorty like a MX5 or others BUT without things like higher tax, insurance or high petrol consumption (not that I know what a mx5 would be like).

I want a normal city car wtha sporty shell, which i think the roadster suits well.

This will purely be for me getting to and from work and then trips to town. My other half has a 4 door Hyundai Accent which can be used for those times wen we'll need more space.

Soldato
Stelly said:
Have they not stopped making these or something like that?

Stelly

Yeah, they have. Just release the end of line special edition. A female friend has just got a coupe version (slightly larger hardtop) and I love it, fantastic little car.

Anyone who has driven a recent one will know that firmware updates have fixed most of the paddleshift box problems.

Soldato
a mate has a non brabus roadster one, its actually quite a nice little car, but its very very tacky inside imo. very poor build quality, and he has had horrific problems trying to get faults on his fixed. (could just be that dealer, but he said overall its really poor service whenever and wherever he has been)

I've had a sit in a brabus roadster coupe which had all the extra options on it, and I actually thought it was quite cool, however I didnt manage to do a testdrive as I was short on time that day.

silver

187435smart.jpg

black

406.jpg

Associate
I quite like the look of them.

But then again I so much prefer the look of the new facelift vectra over a mondeo anyday :)

Errm, just waiting for the comments to come in thick and fast.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll see how I feel about it once I get behind the wheel.

I've only ever driven three cars since I passed my test s I really have no idea when it comes to cars. All I kno is that I don't want something too powerful. I stick to the speed limits and drive like an old woman still. This was why I went for the Smart as it fits the bill. However I am goig there with an open mind and will research the MX5 after the comments made here.

I'm now unsure if it was a MX5 that my Mum had, it was bought brand new abut 5 years ago and it was a Mazda MXsomething, neither myself or my dad thought it was a nice drive though (Dad used to have a MG Midget).

Back
Top Bottom