'smart' tvs

Associate
I am a bit behind the times with my current tv sets and none of them claim to be smart televisions. I am in the market for a new 32" set which I would like to wirelessly stream avi files to from my dlink nas drive downstairs.

Is this something all the new sets let you do? If so are there any recommendations for a set which does this with minimal fuss? If this can't be done from a new tv, what is the most fool proof way to enable a set to receive streamed video. (apple tv, WD media box etc?)

Soldato
If your dlink nas supports DLNA then most new smart TVs will stream from it, less will stream from SMB shares. I recently got a smallish Samsung TV for the bedroom and it does everything that you want. I used to only buy Panasonic, but they seem to have less features unless you get top end models.

Associate
I'd rather get a bigger screen rather than smart functions and a media player for basic playback on a HTPC for that one box rules all would be a better option

Soldato
I'd rather get a bigger screen rather than smart functions and a media player for basic playback on a HTPC for that one box rules all would be a better option

100% this.
I have tried a variety of 'smart' TV's and have always found that they are limited and sluggish at the best of times.
Far better to spend the money on a higher quality panel and then make your own XBMC, MediaPortal, MythTV ..etc

Soldato
newer models have improved and year on year they improve, the dual tuner stuff with switch screen is quite interesting, where you can use the TV to watch one thing on your tablet, while you watch another on the screen itself, I think that's a great concept, shame its limited to some of this years models, but in a couple of years will no doubt be standard.

Associate
I have a samsung 6 series 51inch smart tv and have to say i have used the features twice. It is sluggish and to be honest a waste of time and i dont even have it connected to the net anymore .

Soldato
We use iplayer and youtube on the Samsung 6800 all the time, its rather swift for us, and loads in no time, I wouldn't be without iplayer on my TV now.
Keeps the child happy.

Soldato
I wouldn't go as far as saying smart tv is rubbish, a lot of people I know use theirs for iPlayer YouTube, WiFi streaming etc.
I would say that they're ridiculously overpriced and you could spend the money on equivalent spec, htpc and still have a bit left over.

V F

V F

Soldato
I wouldn't go as far as saying smart tv is rubbish, a lot of people I know use theirs for iPlayer YouTube, WiFi streaming etc.

Internet radio as well.

Smart tv nonsense will die just like 3d tv rubbish . Pointless and a waste of time.

If so many like it for what it is and what you can get then it can't be pointless and a waste of time. You sound bitter.

Soldato
Got 2, use them all the time.1 in the living room and 1 in the bedroom streaming and catch up tv. Older one is a bit slugish.

Plan on upgrading my girls tv's to them

Soldato
Smart tv nonsense will die just like 3d tv rubbish . Pointless and a waste of time.

My 3d smart TV is fantastic. I never bought it for either of these features but now I wouldn't buy a living room TV that wasn't both...

Even though I still plan on putting a NUC on the back later on this year... :D

Caporegime

lol

i hate to tell you smart tv is here to stay, in fact it should get "smarter" every year from now on, just an additional feature currently but in the future you can see it's potential.

connects to your facebook so you know what your friends are watching, etc, etc the possibilities where this can go are endless, friends recommending a show for you to watch and the tv reminding you, etc.

lets you skype your friends so you can watch something together and discuss it at the same time.

again these things are not mandatory just some of the possibilities. if you do not wish to do any of the above nobody is forcing you to do so.

also 3D is really good, when content is designed for it, forcing your tv to do 3d on 2d signals is a waste of time, 3d is for watching 3d content funnily enough, again this is an additional feature you do not need to use it, nobody is forcing you to do so, again you can actually turn 3d into 2d if you do not like it.

both technologies are in their infancy expect them to just grow and grow forever.

Associate
Agree with Psycho Sonny.
Although Smart TV's really haven't been that "Smart" until the last year or so. Now all the main companies are realising the importance of putting some effort into their TV's software. They really are improving. (even quad core cpu's being used now)
I would even dare go as far as to say that people are starting to look at the TV's software (smartness) as a main consideration when buying a new TV now. I know i did and hence this thread.

Soldato
I gave in and got a smart TV despite not really wanting one. It seems difficult to avoid unless you go for an older model. To be honest, I'm now finding that all the inbuilt apps are great, saves me using my Blu-Ray player. I didn't realise the TV could feed back control info and sound back to the amp so that was a nice surprise.

Built in wireless, Netflix, Youtube and god knows how many other apps seems like overkill, but I'm warming to it in all honesty. The only thing I won't use is the voice activation or camera stuff. Don't like the idea of them. I haven't tried 3D yet - I thought that was a bit gimmicky in all honesty but it was another feature that was hard to avoid.

Associate
OP
hey thanks for the replies!

I only need a 32" tv because its for my man cave (box room) about 8ft^2.

Bought a samsung smart LED, the smart features are pretty impressive. All the terrestrial on demand services, plus blinkbox which I use. It appears my dlink nas is not directly compatible with the samsung, it finds the device but no files in the folders. I've found a work around though, using bubble UPNP, which is actually better and let you control the tv using your android phone!

All in all, very impressed!

Back
Top Bottom