Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
Anyone else bought the LG G Watch or Samsung Gear Live? My Gear Live just arrived and after playing with it can see a lot of potential but right now I haven't spent a lot of time with it to really see all the pros and cons.

One update as soon as I turned the watch on, no idea what it's done. Android Wear seems fairly polished but a few tiny animation glitches. I bet there's going to be a lot of updates coming soon with Android L and material design.

Right now I'd like to be able to design my own watch face or at least download others designs, I'm sure that will come with time though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
tagging this thread. I am interested in it's GPS and HRM capabilities. Want to get one so I don't have to carry my phone around with me when running ot cycling

I was also interested in the HRM for running (ditch my Garmin) but the watch itself doesn't have GPS, you'd need to take your phone for that part. I was thinking of getting an arm band strap thing, then I could also use it as my mp3 player too.

I haven't had a chance to test that side of things but will report back when I have.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I agree. I think the watch is great though and have found I'm hardly using my phone anywhere near as much now as I can just quickly glance down at the watch to see if it's an important message that's just come through. I think it's really going to help the battery life on my phone.

There's little things I really like about it though, like being able to not put a passcode in when the watch is near (third party app) as well as having map directions on it etc which is handy when walking about town.

Also, just being able to set a quick timer is useful and reminders. Due to the fact it's right on the wrist it makes some things that bit more accesible and therefore useful which means I actually use them.

Looking forward to the next gen units already, there's a lot of potential.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So how's everyone getting on with their smart watch after a few weeks?

Still enjoying it, initial shine has worn off but I'm still wearing it over my normal watch so that says something since I love my usual one. I'm more looking forward to what's to come with Android L, which I'm hoping will bring a lot more integration and uses but even as it is, it's pretty cool and useful.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My Samsung Gear Live charger pin broke off the other day. Rang Google and they're refunding me so now I have the decide what to buy instead. Loved the Gear Live but don't want to deal with that charger again, 360 or G Watch?? Also, anywhere that has either in stock to walk in and buy?

Back
Top Bottom