SMB Router recommendations

Associate
Hello all. I'm looking for recommendations on SMB routers. ( could not see a thread for routers only) It's my first time looking for SMB routers inknow my way around router and networks and currently studying it but honestly I'm not sure where to start when buying one. I was hoping to an multi-function router/firewall/DHCP/DNS. To support 50+ connections in the future 15 desk tops/ laptops the rest would be guests phones.

All the cabling has been put down already cat5e it's just literally setting up the router, switch and 2 access points.

I have been told to look at . DrayTek vigo2862n router, ubiquity ERPro-8, I was also looking at Cisco routers as that's what I'm studying currently.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great.

If you don’t need it immediately the Unifi Dream Machine could be exactly what you want. But it probably won’t be freely available until September.

If you need something now, the Mikrotik RB4011igs-5hacq2hnd is probably the best on the market at the moment.

https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in

For an Edge/UTM device, I like the Netgate SG-3100 which runs pfSense (but you’ll need a separate access point) or the Untangle u50xw.

Thank you for all the replies. I'm looking into all these options now to see what fits. My only issues is I live in the UK and not sure how readily available some of the products are. But always ways round that.

UniFi USG‑PRO‑4, US-24-250W and 2 x NanoHD AP's.

Definitely not the USG-Pro. UBNT have effectively stopped developing the MIPS platform and are now concentrating on the ARM platform. I wouldn’t touch a new USG, USG-Pro or USG-XG-8 with a barge pole at the moment. They’re a dead platform. The ARM based UDM is pretty much all the Routing & Security team are working on now.

Thank you for all the replies. I'm looking into all these options now to see what fits. My only issues is I live in the UK and not sure how readily available some of the products are. But always ways round that.

Everything suggested in this thread is available in the UK. Mikrotik have several UK agents, Netgate have one and Untangle will ship directly or you can buy from their UK distributor by special order.

After view the site they have a fiber lease line. And I'm told at a 100/100 speeds bit I'm still wating on actual numbers. Currently there is no modem. But I was going to use the one the ISP provides or suggested.

In terms of budget. Will be around 2000 for all the network equipment I believe. I not sure how expensive I need to go. I was going to off and cheaper and more expensive options. As the company mainly works off line they just need computer for small management work. Mainly working on Google sheets. And providing wireless access for their staff and guests. Which could be from 15-30+ at once. There really wont be any remote staff.

I was mainly looking at DrayTech because of a recommendation about how reliable and easy to set up. My main focuse is security and reliable to not break down.

DrayTek routers are reliable and relatively easy to set up. They aren’t as straightforward as a consumer targeted router but don’t need any special knowledge.

A big part of the decision is what level of security you want/need. A pfSense device will give you pretty much anything you need. Untangle adds a few bells and whistles (mainly Bitdefender antivirus and a really nice VPN user interface). The Draytek is basically your vanilla modem/router/access point. The Mikrotik I suggested would be an upgrade from that, but effectively the same thing. With a leased line you don’t need a modem and I would want good edge protection so definitely something like pfSense, Untangle or the aforementioned Fortinet. They’re not cheap, but they’re much cheaper than getting your network taken out when you least need it.

Thank you for so many replies I have doubt out more Information here than days of looking online.

I actually did look at the Meraki and I'm also looking at Sonicwall if anyone has used that? One thing I am wondering. Do I need to get the licenses with these products or would they provide enough protection without them? I know paying for they will cleanly be more beneficial, but is it enough to just buy just firewall?

Meraki, Sonicwall and Untangle all have Licence fees to pay. pfSense is completely free.

Meraki will completely stop working if you don’t pay the licence. Untangle and Sonicwall will become less effective once the updates stop.

DrayTek routers are reliable and relatively easy to set up. They aren’t as straightforward as a consumer targeted router but don’t need any special knowledge.

Yup, i'd recommend Draytek (for SMB). Installed a fair few and on the whole they're fairly straight forward to get the basics/intermediate stuff sorted. Plus, other than needing to restart for the odd update, i haven't had a single problem in terms of reliability.
Newer models are a lot better with WiFi reception too, although depending on the area you need to cover you might have to get AP's installed any way.

Either way, whatever you choose make sure there's warranty and some level of support. And regardless of what anyone says, don't 'white/beige box' in business installations - just don't.

Last edited:
Sorry for my very late reply. Life always getting in the way feeling like I never have free time anymore

Yes the budget it 5-10k including all computers, desk, phones and what not.

What do you mean by white/beige box?

And yes my only concern with Draytek was with its security as the owner is mainly concerned about the customer details being stolen it seems.

Once again thank you everyone for the replies. Any and all advice is welcome

Back
Top Bottom