SMB Router recommendations

Hi, I'm very happy to help you but can I ask though?
What company gives you £2K to spend on networking kit when you know nothing about networking!?!?!?!

I would have echo a previous statement and say a MikroTik RB4011 however Mikrotik is a bit of an acquired taste and if this is going to be a heavily used production router I wouldn't suggest one unless you're paying for a consultant to set it up for you as well.

As much as it pains me to say it, Draytek would most likely fit best, save some cash back and then when this new fangled Ubiquiti solution comes out, drop it on that.

No disrespect to you though, I know you said you're studying networking etc but if you're going to have real people using it day to day for work, unless you really know what you're doing and are experienced with it, you probably want something prosumer based (Draytek) which will spoon feed a lot.

(Then spend £30 on a MikroTik and learn that over the next 6 months).

No offence taken at all. I know full well that I'm still learning and wont even pretend to know what I'm talking about. I understand how to configure a router ( basic configuration that is) and only 3 people will actually be using it for any work. Untill the company grows in size later on. Mostly everyone else just needs access to the Internet for personal activities. The company owner just said his focus is security. They said 10k for everything ( desks computers chairs and all that) and all the wiring has been done already. I was asked mainly for advice as they know absolutely nothing about networking and wanted to ask my option. But although I know I could set the equipment up. When it comes to what to buy I'm at an absolute loss. They really dont teach you anything about that part since I'm still Learning I thought I might as well find out as much information as possible especially from people with true experience.

What do you mean by white/beige box?

Typically, the term refers to cobbling together hardware to run (usually open source) X software rather than purchasing from a known vendor supplier, therefore increasing headaches with warranties and support - something you try and minimise in business installations.
In your case it'd be building a server to run pfSense* or Untangled.

* IIRC, you could purchase a Netgate device if you wanted to run pfSense.

As much as it pains me to say it, Draytek...

Am intrigued to know why the hate for Draytek :confused:

Typically, the term refers to cobbling together hardware to run (usually open source) X software rather than purchasing from a known vendor supplier, therefore increasing headaches with warranties and support - something you try and minimise in business installations.
In your case it'd be building a server to run pfSense* or Untangled.

* IIRC, you could purchase a Netgate device if you wanted to run pfSense.

You can buy an Untangle appliance for about the same as a Draytek or ASUS prosumer router.

https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng-firewall/appliances/

Back
Top Bottom