Snowsports 2023/2024

Associate
Yeah, in reality, if it's one hour or 4 hours, you're not likely to be skiing on your day of arrival on a package holiday. I spent 6 days in Les Arcs/La Plagne and would happily go back again.

Just going to rub it in, after the 6+ feet in one weekend at Lake Tahoe, I'm off to Breckenridge on Monday for another couple of weeks, with a few days at Copper, Keystone and A-Basin.
Very nice! As a backcountry enthusiast Japan is top of my bucket list for their legendary powder but sadly its not all that cheap especially flights.

Don
OP
Very nice! As a backcountry enthusiast Japan is top of my bucket list for their legendary powder but sadly its not all that cheap especially flights.
Yeah, I've a friend that's done ski instructing over there for a few seasons and it looks ridiculous. It's on my bucket list as well but it's the sort of thing I'll likely need to do as a solo trip so it's a big step, both language and culture wise. Need to do it before I'm 50 though, so I'll need to see if there's any solo travel groups doing it.

Soldato
not sure if back-country is the same as french ski-randonee/mountaineering , with skins/articulated-boots/arva, but have had some wonderful powder experiences closer to home in
Southern Alps, but hard to do it without a group of friends (I'd say you need 4+ for better security, with experience, breaking ground) and ability to be there quickly when the conditions present.

Soldato
Japan is just another level. So much better than the alps. So much so that since moving back to Europe I've been so put off how crap alps resorts are compared to Japan I've pretty much stopped bothering. Expensive. Crap snow. Too busy.

Been to Niseko twice and it's been incredible both times. Fresh powder every day. Never any lift queues. Night sessions. Hot springs. Enough gyōza to feed an army. Nice big pistes, and loads of good off piste.

Back
Top Bottom