So, anyone got an iRobot Roomba or other robot vacuum cleaner?

Associate
just bought an iRobot roomba 671 so far i'm liking it think the wife needs more convincing though given it only did a 40 minute clean on the downstairs today it picked up a fair amount of debris, might buy one of the invisible wall towers to stop it getting stuck on a very long pile rug we have. It did get stuck today on the wifes blanket it managed to sweep up a tassle and that caused it to jam. Guess its a bit of a learning process what needs to be moved around so it can do its job effectively

Associate
Well guys I got a Xiaomi Roborock S6 for a decent price the other day (£435 with 5 year warranty, so works out at £87 per year for my own personal cleaner that works every day without complaint) and I got the black version which looks really damn cool and goes with my decor. I have it running now on Max suction and it is crazily quiet vs my original Mi Robot. It has the newer mapping and persistent map software and seems to be doing a very methodical job in covering the rooms. Apparently it will automatically create room zones when done so I am looking forward to having permanent maps where the robot always knows where it is, because my original Mi Robot used to easily get lost if you interrupted the cleaning cycle. Will also be interesting to see how it deals with my carpets and narrow areas where the old Mi used to get stuck sometimes. I do admittedly need to buy a new and more robot-friendly carpet without black bits though.

I will update you all later when I see how it performs after some full cycles. :)

PS: If you already have a Roborock S50 then it's very similar except with some new software features.

@Richdog seen this one shine in reviews over in the states, how are you finding it and where did you purchase it from? We have an all tiled downstairs with no steps, no coffee tables etc so I'm hoping a robot hoover would work really well for this environment.

Soldato
Eufy robovac 30c is on sale for 169.99.

Seems to get good reviews on amazon. What do people think? Very tempted

Anyone got one can comment at how well it doesn't fall down stairs? We have a Town house with all main rooms on middle floor where it will be used.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
@Richdog seen this one shine in reviews over in the states, how are you finding it and where did you purchase it from? We have an all tiled downstairs with no steps, no coffee tables etc so I'm hoping a robot hoover would work really well for this environment.
It is pretty much a faultless robot vac. Navigation is extremely intelligent and it never skips a beat, super reliable. I love the persistent mapping and specific room cleaning ability too. :)

Soldato
All these units (I've for the Xiaomi v1) are just a step away from home gadget perfection....

With the Xiaomi app you can do zoned cleaned, so in the app draw a rectangle around the kitched and the vaccum will navigate around the house and vacuum just the kitchen.

Now if:-
1) You go draw these rectangles, save them, and name them. eg: "Kitchen".
2) Be able to fire off these zoned cleans via Alexa, using that zone name.... "Alexa, tell vaccum to clean kitchen." Perfect!

Annoyingly all you can do with the Alexa skill for Xiaomi, it start it and pause it... *sigh*

Soldato
@NeilFawcett thanks for confirming! Dilemmas indeed but guess it's not a huge compromise.

Thinking of hitting the buy button on the s50 if there's any deals come the weekend
So that's the version after my one (the first Xiaomi cleaner)?

It's a good unit. I had a few niggles originally depending on what server I used, but now I've selected China which seems to solve it. One a week I'll get some message/notification in Chinese which I suspect is just a Xiaomi shop offer or something, but that's about the only negative :)

Soldato
Are they worth it?

Our ground floor is all hardwood and our daughter is forever covering the floor in crumbs/dirt bits of sticker backing etc. I was tempted to get one of these to sort all that while we're at work. Don't care about upstairs carpeted rooms so much as it doesn't get dirt tracked into it or have the crumbs everywhere.

The thing that I'm skeptical about is that our place is full of clutter and there are toys lost under the sofa every day etc. It isn't an IKEA showroom. So navigation strikes me as a challenge.

Anyone else with small kids and the constant battle with their mess have any experience of using a robovac? Worth the investment or only practical for the obsessively tidy?

Soldato
Hi everyone.

Stumbled across this thread and like many others, i've tumbled down the robovac research blackhole :D.

Looking to pick up a roborock S50. I'm guessing these robot hoovers don't replace a traditional hoover, just assist with the upkeep?

Soldato
Hi everyone.

Stumbled across this thread and like many others, i've tumbled down the robovac research blackhole :D.

Looking to pick up a roborock S50. I'm guessing these robot hoovers don't replace a traditional hoover, just assist with the upkeep?

Yeah I'd say so; had mine jsut over a week now and fantastic bit of kit. Its surprising just how much they pick up and will certainly reduce the need to run over the vacuum as often. Planning on testing the mop function over the weekend (so rock n roll)

Soldato
Yeah I'd say so; had mine jsut over a week now and fantastic bit of kit. Its surprising just how much they pick up and will certainly reduce the need to run over the vacuum as often. Planning on testing the mop function over the weekend (so rock n roll)

Cheers for the reply. Ive ordered a roborock S5 max.

Let us know how the mopping goes.!

Soldato
Anyone got the iRobot Braava jet® 250 / 240 cant see what the difference between the 40/50 is but its on offer just now and quite fancy it for the kitchen and hall floors.

Caporegime
OP
Anyone got the iRobot Braava jet® 250 / 240 cant see what the difference between the 40/50 is but its on offer just now and quite fancy it for the kitchen and hall floors.
Do yourself a favour and buy a steam mop. The Braava 140 is only suitable for very light mopping duties and is no substitute for a proper clean. In fact, they are much, much less effective than a robot vacuum cleaner at doing the job they are meant for.

Steam mops are the best thing since sliced break and make mopping 1000x easier than it's ever been. Buy one and do the job properly.

Back
Top Bottom