So complete mac noob here - just bought an M2 macbook pro - Questions

Soldato
Hello after being a PC builder / Windows user for what is it the best part of 35 yrs, i thought i'd give the Apple Macbook a go. I'm an iOS user, iPhone and iPad, and have the Apple TV, airpods and just thought why the heck not ! I saw a new M2 Macbook Pro on sale and even though i don't really have a specific need for one, i thought its been a while since i've treated myself to something completely unnecessary in my life, so pulled the trigger. OK so maybe i do have a slight reason. I use Premiere Pro a lot, and have always toyed with the thought of giving FCPX a go, but i don't think my 8GB macbook is going to cut it, but they didn't have any 16GB's M2s, so went with the paltry 8gb ver.

So after a few hrs, some of which were a little frustrating, namely me looking at the right of windows to close when everything is on the left. Figuring out the 'Control button is really the 'Alt' button. And now i've finally enabled right click, whereas it was off by default. I'd figure i'd ask, where do you get software from? erm like on the cheap. i'd like to get MS office for mac, as all my stuff such as spreadsheets and word docs are obviously needed if i'm really going to use this ever. I also use google drive on all my pc's... does this work on a mac ? i guess i could google this but i miss asking questions on forums like we did back in the late 90's and early 00's

Where's the best place to get these? and do these lic keys you get from using an overseas VPN work. I do have a couple of kids, 16 and 17, both in school, so could try and pull off a student version. I get the Adobe Creative suite this way.

Also AV software... Back in the day mac users would mock PC users saying we don't need AV software, but that was yrs and yrs ago, and times have probably changed.. Does that still hold true?

I think that's it for now.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
  • for 90%+ of your software software comes from the app store just like on IOS
  • MAC/Windows both don't need AV's now days, BUT if you want to air on caution, you could use one.
  • anything on windows generally works on Mac
  • Office can be bought from microsoft website or possibly Amazon as long as you buy Office for MAC edition
  • try a free office version like libre office its a open source version of standard office

Caporegime
Stick with it. I went Mac last year for the first time and wouldn't go back after working my way through small irritations. Like view a folder of photos and not just quickly hitting delete and arrow key onto the next. And some of my old software not playing well on the M software. I could have run my old Lightroom 5 forever and been happy on PC but it doesn't like the Mac much but I'm still making do.

Anyway I use this for Office 365, 15 month sub and I have it permanently in my amazon watch list and usually buy when it's £50 or less for 15 months. £46.99 was my last purchase. I've stacked 3 so far £46 being my cheapest and £52 the most expensive. That's a family code and gives me a huge load of one drive storage as well for the whole family. Everyones iPads and phones are backed up to their own one drive account 2TB each. Friends that do the same often get some money back selling the Mcafee code on eBay but I use it for my sons pc as a safe guard. That's 6 devices as well!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08V5M5N29?ref_=pe_2220451_75177241

Also I downloaded a free program called cheat sheet. All I do is hold down the command key for a few seconds and for whatever program you are using it will show you all the shortcuts. I find that invaluable as a new Mac user.

Last edited:
Soldato
Re. Microsoft Office, as others have said you've basically have the options of either buying a retail copy/licence* or subscribing to Microsoft 365 (once called Office 365) Home/Family which you can usually get for ~£50p/y (keep an eye on HotUKDeals or Amazon sales).
Otherwise LibreOffice is decent enough alternative but there are obvious differences between the two.

For AV, i would install MalwareBytes Free** and periodically run it. Malware and ransomware is very much (some getting fired around through Google adverts) a thing on MacOS, "virii" not so much, and similar to MS Windows, Apple's own built-in guards are being and have been bypassed. Like anything, minimise interaction with dodgy sites and apps etc.
As for a full-blow AV, i'm not entirely convinced it's needed but the likes of Avast and co do MacOS variants if you really want to go that route.

Worth looking at @Feek's "Feek's macOS useful tools, utilities and applications thread" too.

* Can't discuss dodge sites but there are obviously (very) grey licencing sites for retail licences but a MS 365 Home/Family subscription does include a load of handy features on top of the desktop apps.
** You can get Malwarebytes premium cheap, sales etc, and that includes real-time protection (against malware/ransomware) which is handy.

Soldato
OP
Thanks OP here, i deactivated one of my Malwarebytes Premium lics and installed it on the mac, which for the record, i'm really enjoying. A very useful feature is being able to iMessage from the thing, when i'm busy doing something else, rather than having to grab the iPhone and type from there. i do get a lot of iMessages so thats a big feature for me.

So i also bought a very very grey license key from one of those grey sites. it was only $25, however upon activation it says lic key already used. ugh, and i've yet to hear back from their support with a new number, and that was a good few hrs ago... hey if i've lost $25 then so be it. But it is Sunday and they may not be answering support requests on sun, so all is not lost just yet.

But overall i'd say its been a great purchase considering i didn't really have a need for one, i seem to look forward to using it. Maybe thats just new toy syndrome ? if there is even such a thing ! lol

Soldato
I’ve had a Mac since 2013, never installed any form of AV software on it.
Same with any other OS, don't hang around dodgy sites and you'll generally be OK.
But as popularity has grown with MacOS, malware/ransomware writers have started to make the switch from other OS's (The Mac Malware of 2022 etc). And with the recent spate of malware getting flung around in web ads, having something like the free version of Malwarebytes (+ arguably an adblocker), which takes a minute to scan your system, might be worth it just for peace of mind.
As always though, everyone is free to do what they want :)

But overall i'd say its been a great purchase considering i didn't really have a need for one, i seem to look forward to using it. Maybe thats just new toy syndrome ? if there is even such a thing ! lol
MacOS is a decent enough OS, same for the hardware, and Apple's integration across products is no doubt the best going but, like anything, it has it's ups and downs.

Soldato
OP
Thanks OP here, i deactivated one of my Malwarebytes Premium lics and installed it on the mac, which for the record, i'm really enjoying. A very useful feature is being able to iMessage from the thing, when i'm busy doing something else, rather than having to grab the iPhone and type from there. i do get a lot of iMessages so thats a big feature for me.

So i also bought a very very grey license key from one of those grey sites. it was only $25, however upon activation it says lic key already used. ugh, and i've yet to hear back from their support with a new number, and that was a good few hrs ago... hey if i've lost $25 then so be it. But it is Sunday and they may not be answering support requests on sun, so all is not lost just yet.

So grey license support came through and gave me a good key. So I'm now rocking MS Office on this Mac for not a lot ! couldn't be happier. Though I will say, I do prefer the way office feels on a PC. Anyway I'll only use it for mostly viewing and the occasional edit, when not on my main PC.

Commissario
Re. Microsoft Office, as others have said you've basically have the options of either buying a retail copy/licence* or subscribing to Microsoft 365 (once called Office 365) Home/Family which you can usually get for ~£50p/y (keep an eye on HotUKDeals or Amazon sales).
I've been looking out for this for months, still not seen it at that sort of price.

Soldato
I've been looking out for this for months, still not seen it at that sort of price.
MS365 Family? There's been a few deals on HUKD recently through Amazon (expired but as an example - £54.99, £52.99, £52.99) and MS themselves occasionally will do a deal, typically during Black Friday/January Sales.
I have a feeling you can stack subscription codes but don't hold me to that.

Last edited:
Associate
MS365 Family? There's been a few deals on HUKD recently through Amazon (expired but as an example - £54.99, £52.99, £52.99) and MS themselves occasionally will do a deal, typically during Black Friday/January Sales.
I have a feeling you can stack subscription codes but don't hold me to that.
You can definitely stack ms365, looks like there is a limit of 5 years max.

Back
Top Bottom