SO-DIMM upgrade speed vs timing

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I am currently looking at upgrading the sodim on my Laptop. It comes with 16GB 4800Mhz

The laptop has a 13700h and a 4080. Are timings more important or speed?

Looking at either 32 or to be fair 64gb kits seem reasonably priced lately.

Soldato
I seem to remember doing a bunch of reseach on this a couple of years ago and the general view is speed is the more important.
I found this just now :

Based on in-depth engineering analysis and extensive testing in the Crucial performance lab, the answer to this classic question is BOTH! Speed and latency both play a critical role in system performance. So, when you’re looking to upgrade, we recommend:

• Step 1: Identify the highest memory speed supported by both your processor and motherboard
  • Step 2: Select the lowest latency memory that fits within your budget at that speed, remembering that a superior (i.e. lower) latency means superior system performance

Soldato
OP
If you're not aware already, be careful getting either: memory higher speed than stock, or memory with tighter timings than stock, since OEM systems often don't support manual configuration or XMP.

Thank you for that, as it happens i ended up ordering the same speed due to wanting 64gb for my photography edits ect instead of paying more for the speed and capacity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom