So, getting back on 2 wheels

VoG

VoG

Soldato
With my current outlook on life, everything keeps drawing me towards a cruiser but I really don't see why so many people hate them so much. Every time I tell a biker I'm looking to get a cruiser I always get the response "Why? They're ****" IMO they are relaxing, fun, good to look at and fun to modify.
The other thing is that when I finally do stop being able to ride on two wheels, I can turn it in to a trike.

I suppose I could look at an old V-Max. It seems to be the only cruiser that doesn't have a stigma.

bikers are brainwashed these days i'm afraid, it's either got to be a sportsbike or a Harley, anything else will be put down at every opportunity, or so it seems. ;)

the only reason the V-Max doesn't share the same fate is down to the VM's early days, the full fat version was a bit too much for blighties crowded, pot holed roads so we got a "restricted" version, how ever, if you could track down a fire breathing full power grey import, you where a god amongst men, to be feared & admired in equal measure. :p

screw what any body else has to say on the matter, live your life for yourself & get the Suzuki, you know you want to, ultimatley any other bike will just feel like second best in the long run.

Soldato
We've had two suggestions so far, a dull BMW R and a Ducati I can't afford.
This is what I've ridden over the last few weeks:

Speed Triple 1050 - Too twitchy
Aprilia Tuono R - See Speed Triple 1050
Hayabusa 1300 K9 - I don't have the arm strength any more to support the sports riding position
Tiger 1050 - Owned one before, it was ace but too tall for me really

My recent bike history:
Triumph Tiger 1050
Aprilia RSV1000 Factory
Cagiva X-Raptor
Suzuki Hayabusa
Suzuki GSXR1100

With my current outlook on life, everything keeps drawing me towards a cruiser but I really don't see why so many people hate them so much. Every time I tell a biker I'm looking to get a cruiser I always get the response "Why? They're ****" IMO they are relaxing, fun, good to look at and fun to modify.
The other thing is that when I finally do stop being able to ride on two wheels, I can turn it in to a trike.

I suppose I could look at an old V-Max. It seems to be the only cruiser that doesn't have a stigma.

I to have been testing some new metal (Still currently riding a Tuono r) and the 1050 bored me but would never call it twitchy . The 675 was a lot more fun but lacked the hit of torque but if i had to pick one the 675 was a better bike .

I also tried the Sx1000 . Quite quick but linear and felt very safe but i could not fault it but just not for me .
Bmw 1300r . techincally a fantastic bike and great for getting from a-b fast as long as you use wide open motorway or dual carrigeway but i got pwned by my son on a 125 on the twitchy stuff . Was very quick but never felt it .

My last option was the new v4 Aprilia Tuono Aprc . All i can say was OMFG fast nimble but with CHARACTER !! great fun at all speeds . Amazing noise and other than the crap matt finish and hardish seat it was everything i want and more . Its the ONLY bike to match my current Tuono in handling/performance and character and it will be my next bike but the 11.5k price and near impossible availablilty atm will leave me waiting till next year to purchase .

I am suprised you felt the Tuono was twitchy rilot and i feel you may have tried a badly setup one (although i am running ohlins/ktec setup ) Myabe try a Factory with the Ohlins all round ? Its a fantastic bike as an ex rsvr owner and i think its worth a second ride .

Persil

Soldato
What about a Suzuki V-Strom? Not a cruiser, but nice and upright, reasonable weight and still handles like you're used to.

Soldato

Because however good they are "for a cruiser" in the handling and speed stakes, they are light years away from proper bikes in the handling and speed stakes.
If you want what you say you want from a cruiser then a Harley is the ONLY way to go, the sound, the accesories, the scene, the quality of build etc etc, only Harley Davidson offer the full "lifestyle" option which you are after.

If you are going sacrifice everything a decent road bike offers by getting a cruiser, then at least get the brand that will give you the most of "everything else" (tassles, leather waist coats, studs, moustaches) that you are after.
;)

I dont know whether its a sensitive subject for discussion, but what exactly is up with your health? was it an accident or is it illness?

Don
OP
Because however good they are "for a cruiser" in the handling and speed stakes, they are light years away from proper bikes in the handling and speed stakes.
If you want what you say you want from a cruiser then a Harley is the ONLY way to go, the sound, the accesories, the scene, the quality of build etc etc, only Harley Davidson offer the full "lifestyle" option which you are after.

If you are going sacrifice everything a decent road bike offers by getting a cruiser, then at least get the brand that will give you the most of "everything else" (tassles, leather waist coats, studs, moustaches) that you are after.
;)

I dont know whether its a sensitive subject for discussion, but what exactly is up with your health? was it an accident or is it illness?

Illness. I have multiple sclerosis.

I see your point but I'm not a Harley person. The only HD I'm interested in is the V-Rod but then I'm going to be ignored by both schools of biking. HD owners hate V-Rod owners because the V-Rod isn't an agricultural, pushrod, 2 valve piece of lard, and all other bikers hate V-Rod riders because it's a Harley.

Man of Honour
;)
?

But who needs race spec handling and performance at the massive sacrifice of comfort.
I don't get the hate, I love both scenes. It's down to performance or comfort, you can't really get both. Well suppose tourers are the compromise.

Last edited:
Soldato
But who needs race spec handling and performance at the massive sacrifice of comfort.
I don't get the hate I love both scenes. It's down to performance or comfort, you can't really get both. Well suppose tourers are the compromise.

Woah there Neddy, who said anything about race reps?

Soldato
No bike is boring. The BMW might not get kids pointing and staring in the street, but it's a fantastic road bike. Better than the GS (and more suitable for non 6 footers)

I also don't agree with the bikers being brainwashed thing. You only have to go to any big bike meet and you'll see every bike under the sun. I ride sports bikes but love looking at other bikes - even cruisers

Soldato
bikers are brainwashed these days i'm afraid, it's either got to be a sportsbike or a Harley, anything else will be put down at every opportunity, or so it seems. ;)

Have a look at the table in this thread and see if you can reconcile your statement with the facts. Ignoring 125cc machines, in the top 10 selling bikes this year there are only three sports bikes, the rest are mostly naked street bikes or adventure/touring machines.

Only 3 Harleys in the entire table, and they are all topped by the Triumph Bonneville America 865 which is the only other cruiser I can see.

Doesn't seem like many of those brainwashed bikers have been buying sports bikes or Harelys...

Back
Top Bottom