• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So how do I get an RMA for this crappy AMD GPU

Associate
Ordered on Sunday, arrived today (Tuesday). Nothing wrong with the delivery, very good.

Downloaded the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller DDU, removed the Nvidia drivers.

Removed my Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 960, a GPU that's been very stable for a few years.

Installed the Gigabyte Vega 64 Gaming OC 8G that arrived and installed latest drivers from the AMD website.

And it causes my system to reset when pushed at 1080p, and just spent all evening trying to get this AMD GPU card to work...but nothing works

Sniper Elite about 2 mins into gameplay, then a reset
Apex, I can't get past the player selection before a reset
Other games I tried, result in a crash or reset.

So I tried some benchmark utilities:

FurMark lasts 3 mins and I get a restart.
Heaven 4.0 also causes a reset after a few mins also.

I have a >1000W Silverstone PSU, so my rig has plenty of power.

Associate
OP
The PSU seems to be fine, no problems when running my old GTX 590 (Dual GPU) I have never got rid of.

I'm running the same separate power cables to the AMD GPU, just like the GTX 590 I tested.

Soldato
Hi,

Did you select the option (now under options tab in DDU) to boot to safemode? Probabaly more important doing this when swapping from NVidia to AMD or visa versa. May not be the answer but something in the process of elimination that can be done on a software level and only sat at the keyboard.

If you use the event viewer in windows (search event viewer> custom views>administrative events) - and note the time of the crash and post up what the critical error is - here 'may' give us more of a clue.

Very frustrating upon buying a new card for lots of dosh but you are in the right place for help.

You could summon the man that is AMD (AMDMatt) The OCUK expert, to an end where - AMD gave him a job! Top man, helped me out loads before. Hope he doesnt mind the name drop. Bear in mind that he is a busy chap.

Associate
I had a 2060 in my system and when i went to V64 i was getting crashes. I had to re-install windows onto a formatted SSD/HDD then everything was fine.

Soldato
You could try under-clocking the card to exclude software/driver issues. Reduce vram and core clocks, plus reducing the power-limit (set negative value) will reduce load on your power-supply. This can all be done within AMD Control Panel Wattman. If you gain stability then you know it's not a SW/driver conflict.

Also, make sure your CPU+RAM is not overclocked (reset BIOS to default).

Finally, don't stress about it. You have 14-days from date of delivery during which you can request return the card for any reason, and are entitled to a full-refund.

Associate
Re install windows as this can cause it, and never discount the PSU what brand is it? And how many watts?

One of the biggest problems is DDU itself.

Start fresh, clean install only the AMD drivers.

Permabanned
Ordered on Sunday, arrived today (Tuesday). Nothing wrong with the delivery, very good.

Downloaded the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller DDU, removed the Nvidia drivers.

Removed my Gigabyte Gaming G1 GTX 960, a GPU that's been very stable for a few years.

Installed the Gigabyte Vega 64 Gaming OC 8G that arrived and installed latest drivers from the AMD website.

And it causes my system to reset when pushed at 1080p, and just spent all evening trying to get this AMD GPU card to work...but nothing works

Sniper Elite about 2 mins into gameplay, then a reset
Apex, I can't get past the player selection before a reset
Other games I tried, result in a crash or reset.

So I tried some benchmark utilities:

FurMark lasts 3 mins and I get a restart.
Heaven 4.0 also causes a reset after a few mins also.

I have a >1000W Silverstone PSU, so my rig has plenty of power.

Hi, The problem's Gigabyte not AMD. Gigabyte may do decent Nvidia gpu's but over the last few years they've been releasing below average AMD gpu's, They did it with their RX480 which the reviewer JayzTwoCents did a video on, I bought a 4gb Gigabyte560 as a stop gap between selling my Sapphire Fury pro & grabbing a GTX 1080, At the time I thought it being low-end would mean they can't mess it up but boy was I wrong, Normally lower end cards don't have the heat & noise issues normally associated with high performance models but this had both, It was as light as a feather meaning not a lot of heatsink & poor heat dispersal which made it loud & I mean loud. I wasn't expecting class leading cooler performance just average would be okay but under load the fans had to spin up so high that it was like a hairdryer, I couldn't live with it so I didn't. For AMD gpu's it's best to go with an AMD only brand like Sapphire or Powercolor so don't put your bad experience with this card down as AMD's fault cause it's not it's Gigabytes.

Soldato
The PSU seems to be fine, no problems when running my old GTX 590 (Dual GPU) I have never got rid of.

I'm running the same separate power cables to the AMD GPU, just like the GTX 590 I tested.

Try different cable location. Those two power cables could be on the same rail perhaps. Might help if you state the actual model of that Silverstone as they have a few 1000W, some single and other multi-rail versions.

Soldato
There are a few possible problems here, drivers. You need to clear up your nVidia drivers properly and then install the latest drivers from AMD directly, not Gigabyte.

Second possible issue might be the use of a multirail PSU which is fairly old.

Associate
Second possible issue might be the use of a multirail PSU which is fairly old.

This is what effected me a couple of years ago. Got a 1070 card to replace an old 670. But then playing games would shut the system down. Turned out the old 650W Corsair was multirail and couldn't supply the current required on one rail. Swapped out the supply for an EVGA and its been running perfectly since.

I'd be checking the model of supply and seeing how the rails are setup. Just because its a 1000W doesn't mean it not the root cause of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom